Preventing leak-down.

/ Preventing leak-down. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I'm loving my Top-n-tilt setup. Don't know how I got along without it.

One issue I'm having is leak-down. In many instances, it is no big deal but one of my primary implements is a 10' offset bush hog. I've found it also occurs, to a lesser extent, with my 6' bush hog.

I have mounted a level on my cutter and it is very easy to level it up from the operator's seat. However, the weight is such that it will leak down within a short time (10 min?) and I find I'm constantly having to adjust it.

My remedy has been to unplug the rod side hydraulic hose. I'd like the ability to adjust when I want to (slopes, etc.) so I'm looking for a better solution.

Anyone have any recommendation?

Kubota M7060 with three rear remotes, installed at time of purchase.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Preventing leak-down. #2  
My side link does the same, especially with the 1100# Gannon on it - plan eventually to get one of these

Lock Valve 1/2" NPT 25 GPM 3 PSI | Check & Lock Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

My toplink cylinder came with one

2x11x1.18 Category 1 Hydraulic Double Acting Top Link Cylinder | Tractor Top Link Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

And it stays where I put it, even WITH the Gannon mounted.

Only downside I'm aware of is if the valve you control it with has a float option - the lock valve won't allow float, only power up or down... Steve

BTW, if the leakdown is because your CYLINDER is bypassing, don't waste your money on the lock valve - but if you're able to disconnect and lessen the drift, it should work for you...

Oh, another possible downside - cylinders that come with the lock valve usually have banjo style fittings to keep a low profile; to retrofit, you'd probably need to install straight JIC adapters at the cylinder ports, then custom fab NPT to JIC tubing from the lock valve using 90's over each cylinder port, and finally NPT to whatever you're using from the cylinder(now from the lock valve) to the remote. (Sounds harder than it is, I'll try to clarify anything you're not clear on, just ask...

/ Preventing leak-down. #3  
I'm not an expert by any means, but if unhooking it works, perhaps a shutoff valve in line would accomplish the same thing? Make the hose long enough so you could reach it from operators seat to open it and adjust if needed..

/ Preventing leak-down. #4  
A ball valve at the QD should work...possibly replace a bulkhead fitting if the bracket is strong enough...should be reachable if there is no cab...

/ Preventing leak-down. #5  
I’ve never needed to float the TnT on that sized machine (no hydraulic down pressure).

Hanging a 10’ batwing mower off a (what I assume is a) smallish cylinder is going to take some fiddling. A cylinder lock valve or shutoff, as described above, would be a start. But you may end up with an upgraded cylinder too.

/ Preventing leak-down.
I'm not an expert by any means, but if unhooking it works, perhaps a shutoff valve in line would accomplish the same thing? Make the hose long enough so you could reach it from operators seat to open it and adjust if needed..

Good idea but I forgot to mention that my tractor has a cab. Thanks, though.

/ Preventing leak-down.
I’ve never needed to float the TnT on that sized machine (no hydraulic down pressure).

Hanging a 10’ batwing mower off a (what I assume is a) smallish cylinder is going to take some fiddling. A cylinder lock valve or shutoff, as described above, would be a start. But you may end up with an upgraded cylinder too.

My side link is a 3" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod. Would that be a "smallish" cylinder?

/ Preventing leak-down. #8  
If you never require float the Pilot operated check would be the simplest solution. I believe Brain from fit-rite has a small unit meant for t-n-t.

If float is required a solenoid operated normally open or normally closed could be plumbed in line. This would require a switch to activate the valve when you want to adjust the position.

/ Preventing leak-down.
If you never require float the Pilot operated check would be the simplest solution. I believe Brain from fit-rite has a small unit meant for t-n-t.

If float is required a solenoid operated normally open or normally closed could be plumbed in line. This would require a switch to activate the valve when you want to adjust the position.

Thanks, Oldnslo. I got the cylinder from Brian. I'll get in touch with him (probably should have done that in the first place).

/ Preventing leak-down. #10  
My side link is a 3" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod. Would that be a "smallish" cylinder?

I don’t know enough about hydraulics to say the size you need. But I’ve had several TnT setups. All were offered in a standard size. The 10’ batwing has to be adding a lot of levered force on the cylinder. If the lock valve doesn’t solve the issue I’d look at a bigger cylinder. The guy who builds TnT setups and chimes in on TBN has this video-

Hydraulic cylinder fluid internally bypassing - YouTube

You are battling that as well

Edit- hopefully what I wrote above makes sense. To put it another way- a standard TnT is designed for and works well with implements about as wide as the machine and get adjusted regularly. You have a unique set of requirements in that the implement is 10’ wide and you don’t want it to move or drift. I’m sure your requirements can be met. It will probably take a lock valve and maybe a different cylinder too.

One work around would be to lengthen the manual side link so it matches the hydraulic side link fully extended. It would keep things level since the cylinder is fully extended. You would only get tilt in one direction though.