Price Check Price Check 790... PLEASE...

/ Price Check 790... PLEASE... #1  

TexasOaks

Bronze Member
Tractor
In the market
I wanted to get a price check on a John Deere 790:

Super clean John Deere 790 4-wheel drive tractor with John Deere loader. Only 133 hours on this one! Includes the R4 Industrial tire option on the tractor. Also includes a JD LX5 Mower with rear chain guards. This tractor is a one-owner trade-in that we received when the customer traded up to a larger tractor. He purchased it new from a JD dealer in 2003. The tractor is in excellent condition with only a few minor scratches here and there from normal usage. The loader bucket is slightly bent in the middle, which does not affect it's performance, and could be straightened if someone wanted to. The mower has one small dent on the left hand side about the size of a golf ball.

Can the loader be bent back easily?

Item Specifics - Tractors
Make: John Deere Fuel: Diesel
Model: 790 Engine Cylinders: 3
Model Year: 2003 Engine HP: 30
Hours: 133 Transmission Type: Manual (Do these come with the hydrostatic transmssion or does manual mean gear transmission?) I know what manual means on a car but...)
Drive: 4WD Condition: Used
Serial Number: G696728

Selling for $12,500

Wanted everyones opinion this tractor please. Thanks everyone!

/ Price Check 790... PLEASE... #2  
TexasOaks said:
I wanted to get a price check on a John Deere 790:

Can the loader be bent back easily?

BFH Big Freakin Hammer

/ Price Check 790... PLEASE... #4  
TexasOaks said:
item Specifics - Tractors
Make: John Deere Fuel: Diesel
Model: 790 Engine Cylinders: 3
Model Year: 2003 Engine HP: 30
Hours: 133 Transmission Type: Manual (Do these come with the hydrostatic transmssion or does manual mean gear transmission?) I know what manual means on a car but...)
Drive: 4WD Condition: Used
Serial Number: G696728

Selling for $12,500

My opinion, this is a better deal than most in this area. After an exhaustive search of the North Texas area for a tractor of my own I can attest to the scant availability of "resonably priced" tractors. The price does seem resonable and I would definetly want to see some pictures before makin a final desicion if it were my dollar. But the damage as described dosen't sound like it would be much to fix. The transmission won't be a hydrostat, but more than likey a shuttle shift (meaning shuttle from forward/reverse with one lever) and selectable gears, ie: 1,2,3 and 4 with a gear selector. Probably quite similar to my old Montanna 3040. Admitidly I never really looked at any JD's when I was shopping as they always seemed to be priced at a premium versus the others. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and a few pics might help us help you spend your money! :D

/ Price Check 790... PLEASE...
6012_12.jpg

611d_12.jpg

60ab_12.jpg

4e5d_12.jpg

Thanks guys for the help... ya I have been looking hard for a couple of months now and this is the best deal I have found that is close enough to me. Keep the opinions coming please.

4f9b_12.jpg

61a5_12.jpg

5f6b_12.jpg

4dc5_12.jpg

How good is the mower on the back?

Jae... here are some pictures to look at. Ya... pictures usually help. :D

/ Price Check 790... PLEASE... #10  
That's a good price since it includes the rotary cutter. Hours are low...I'd make the deal, personally.

A few dents and such? Well, it is a tractor after all...right? You'd expect a scratch on a used car. These are working tools. I wouldn't even worry about that minor dent on the bucket.

A Manual tranny (collar shift) on the 790 has 4 speeds and reverse and High/Low Ranges which comes to 8 speeds forward, 2 reverse.
You don't shift these trannys. You select your working gear and go right from there. There is no lever to flick between forward and reverse (that's a power-reverser transmission on a Deere). To reverse, you must move the gear shift. As this is a non-synchro transmission, you've got to stop (or almost stop) to shift gears...especially from a forward to reverse gear. It's actually pretty quick when you get used to it.
This tractor has a "live" PTO. On the 790, this is a dual stage clutch. Pushing the clutch ½ down allows shift of the transmission gears and the PTO keeps spinning (when it's engaged). Pushing the clutch all the way down stops the PTO too. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty simple and rock solid as long as you don't ride the clutch continuously.

NOW, read my signature line below

I'd always offer less, at first...say $11500. You can always go up if you need to, but it's hard to negotiate down if you start high. At minumum, I'd ask the dealer to through a ballast box in as part of the deal. You'll need that counter weight if you expect to use that loader efficiently.

I wouldn't wait too long. I reckon that tractor will sell pretty quickly.