Pricing

/ Pricing #71  
Right on Paul. You've hit on the head on all three points and your final observation. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Pricing #72  
Your correct. $2K is way too much difference. I did not pursue the reason, as I felt he was so far out, and he simply stated that he would not get any 2710's for 3-4 weeks. Whats that about?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Every other dealer either had them in stock or promissed one in 3-5 days. Not to mention, I did not feel he was that interested in selling a Kubota that he did not have in stock. (They sell green also, and had several in stock)The salesman that I typically dealt with was at training or something like that, and the guy who priced me was the "sales manager". Maybe he did not think I was serious about buying a 2710. I believe I was clear with my intentions to buy. His loss, a more accomodating dealers gain. I even made it simple....paid cash!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Pricing #73  
One experience I has recently is when I purchased my rear blade Woods RB72. There is an ad in Farmworld everyweek advertising Woods implments significantly lower than almost all dealers. Now when I went to my dealer with their price they were aware of these ads (not to happy by the way) and I was able to get within $20 of the advertised price. I did't have to travel 80 miles to go and get the blade with my dealership backing me up.

But I did get to thinking of why I couldn't contact woods or landpride and try to obtain a "dealership" and advertise on the web at ridiculously low prices (still making enough to justify the time) and sell direct. I would have no overhead and could operate at extremly low margins and still make it worth my while as an individual.

Now if Woods or Landpride were smart they would never grant me a "dealership". I would think dealers that do the same would also be at risk of losing their line.

Just a different twist. I am sure Steve is happy to sell more units and generate manufacturer incentives than one unit with the same profit - assuming the cost is equal.

/ Pricing #74  
Observationist..just for the record, I see your point and I agree with ya. I am just a working class schmuck who is also careful with his spendable dollars, however, to me, a good purchase is more than just a good price. I like to be treated well and with respect. When a dealer/salesperson treats me well, I am more agreeable to negotiating with him. This past January, I purchased a new B7500 with fel and bh and a trailor to haul it on. The salesman I dealt with at the dealership treated me and my wife so well that, heck, I might have paid even more for it (but I didn't let him know that!!) I have had 2 warranty issues surface since the purchase and I tell you, that salesman was on it like ugly on my mother-in-law. Not only did he see to it that my repairs were made quicker than immediately, but he called me to tell me what the service department was doing about it and even handwrote me a letter each time to detail the repairs. Maybe to some folks, this might be a non issue and all they care about is the bottom line of what they paid for the item, but to me, this fella has solidified a long time purchasing/service relationship with this very satisfied consumer.

/ Pricing #75  
diggernh,

I couldn't agree more. I have only bought two brand new tractors in my life. The first one I bought strictly on price - I saved about $1000. The second I bought because I had a good feeling about the dealer. They were a third generation family dealer that really know how to treat their customer (and they are close by). I paid a little more for that and I would do it again. To me price rates waaaaay down below service in making my buying decision.

TBone

/ Pricing #76  
I would spend the extra money for service like that. You see by doing what he did, you have shared that positive experiance with who knows how many TBN'ers who would give him consideration when they have to buy a tractor. What is the name of the dealership ? Sounds like what goes around comes around......./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Pricing #77  
Diggernh
It sounds like your happy with your dealer. Would you let us know who your dealer is? Some not so good dealers get mentioned on this sight, but I think the good ones should have their time too.
Good luck with your toy's, I mean tools.

/ Pricing #78  
Ok fellas..here is my dealer..MB Tractor in Tilton, New Hampshire (formally Ryan Tractor) I would tell ya the salesman's name but I don't know how he would feel about having his name mentioned on the internet. Next time I see him, I will ask if it is cool with him. They are located just a short 12 mile ride north of me so it makes it real convenient to go up there for filters and other stuff I need. As soon as the snow melts and mud season ends, Me gonna run up there and buy me some of their land pride attachments. Aint it odd how many friends you realize you have once ya buy a tractor? My phone aint hardly stopped ringin' since I got this beauty home. Guess I am just gonna have to bite the bullet, plaster this Kubota with insurance, and go allow my friends to help me recoup my investment. Not in it to get rich, but it will give me the beloved seat time I crave, and who knows..maybe have to purchase another tractor or 2 from the same salesman. And to think that my wife INSISTED that I buy this!!..God..I worship the dirt she treats me like...YEEEE---HAAAAAA!!!

/ Pricing #79  
to change the thread direction a tad....

here are the things i really appreciate about my local john deere dealer:

1. they are Always there [during planting and harvesting season - the shop is open all hours of the night] (sales weasels don't do weekends, and are gone by 5) ;)

2. the owners & workers all grew up here and know the land.
[most farm too]

3. if i am having a problem, they are trying to fix it.

4. i get sound advice and no b.s.

5. they happen to be a couple of miles away [in the other direction, mind you - maybe they could move?] ;)

6. found out later that the son of a neighbor works there. [too late for a family-friend discount though] ;)

7. service. fast, correct, no hassles.

8. rentals

9. family business for generations. [and i would assume that most dealers are]

i shopped all of the colors for what i was looking for, the deere people had the best fit.

did i get the best price? maybe, there are other deere dealers farther away that are certainly closer to me than some of you have to go to find any dealer at all.

did i get the best value? yes - i am CERTAIN of that.

10. they know me by name, know what projects i do.

11. they ask me how the tractor is, have i had any problems?

12. you can't tell the difference between a friend and a customer. [well, friends get their own coffee maybe] ;)

now i have not bought all of my attachments from them, i have some used stuff from an old retired farmer [another neighbor] that sells some stuff to supplement his income.

but, i do buy all of my parts/liquids/etc from the deere people. and if there is ever a mechanical problem that i don't want to mess with - service is only a phone call away.

why?

they have earned it.

it isn't likely that i will be a customer of mr. carver since he does not live near me, and i am pretty sure that he won't mind that one bit.

why? because i think mr. carver is just like my dealer.
he is doing business on his own merits the best way that he can.

i am still learning a lot from mr. carver and the other dealers here [and all of you owners too].

sorry if this went a bit long, i get 'preachy' now & then.

diggernh, be sure to hug that wife of yours and thank her for the rest of us! [we want to use her as a role model for all wives] ;)

/ Pricing
I agree the local dealers are great, plus a supportive significant other makes life easier in tractor land.

When I took delivery on a B21TLB a good Maine dealer did get my $ after doing research on line (Carver the lowest and the best on the internet by my regard) the local dealer agreed to $1000 more but worth the delta as the low price did not include shipping, test drives, wandering the lot, or face to face encounter. They get my service business too (plus pick up and deliver N/C) and make few $ on parts, but since these units are stingy on repairs not a lot is made after inventory carrying costs.

My philosiphy on pricing is when you think you have a fair price take it. When I'm out there digging and planting,(soon I hope) for myself or the neighbors what I paid is far from my mind.