Problem with HPX......

/ Problem with HPX...... #1  

Y2KF250PSD

Silver Member
This thing is new too. Last week, when it had accumulated 10 hours, she just shut down. I had been using it for a couple hours so she was warm. Would not restart without choking and continuing to hold choke. Barely limped back to the house, holding the choke and traveling at 2-3mph.

Sounded like fuel starvation. I checked the vented fuel cap to be sure it wasn't vacuum locked. That pretty much only leaves a stopped up fuel filter (unlikely on a new machine w/10hrs) or a bad fuel pump.

Took it back to dealer. 4 days later, they redeliver it and stated they had to run it 3 hours before they could duplicate the problem. Said they replaced fuel pump.

Well, it's not fixed. Was using it yesterday afternoon and she shut down again. No restart at all this time, even using the choke. But, after 15-20 minutes, she restarted and ran like there was no problem at all.

I sure don't know what the [censored] is wrong with this thing, but it seems to be heat related. It occurs after the machine has been used for a while and once it cools down some, it runs good.

I'll be calling the dealer in the morning to pick it up again. Any one else with an HPX having any problems that are similar??

Thanks,
Chuck

/ Problem with HPX...... #2  
I am not familiar with the engine that is used on this machine, but if it is a gasoline engine, the heat is causing a vapor lock in the fuel line is my best guess. That is what it sounds like. A vapor lock is when the fuel in the line becomes so hot that the gasoline boils and forms a gas pocket in the line that can not be overcome by the fuel pump. It was rather common in the old days before cars had fuel injection and return lines from the carburetor. If it persists, look for a place where the fuel line comes close to the exhaust manifold or the exhaust system. One trick that you can do to prove or disprove this theory, is to spray the fuel line with cold water the next time that it happens. Make sure that you don't spray the engine when doing this. Also, I have seen the same condition where the fuel will boil out of the carburetor and result in hard starting. There are other things that you could do, but I won't go down that road for safety concerns. Since it is new, let the dealership figure it out......

/ Problem with HPX......
Good Advice Junkman!

I think you may be on to something. I'll take a look at the fuel line routing and try the water cool down.

I don't think the dealership is too familiar with these engines either and being an intermittent problem makes diagnosis difficult.

Keep the thoughts comin guys.

Chuck

Edit:

Ya know, the more I think on it, I always have something loaded in the bed when this happens. It's never happened when unloaded. With a load in the bed, it compresses the rear suspension which would move the fuel line closer to the engine. I would think others with the HPX would be experiencing the same problem if this is the problem.

Thanks Junkman, you got my gears turnin!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Problem with HPX......
<font color="red"> Update: </font> <font color="black"> </font>

This machine is still not fixed. The dealer has told me they have no idea what the problem is and have not seen it before. Their only solution is to enter the problem into their technical database and wait until an engineer finds the time to develop a solution.

Personally, I don't understand this. If it is vaporlocking, then I would think that others would be having the issue as well. If it's a mechanical or part problem, that shouldn't be that difficult to isolate either.

Basically, I was told that I have to live with the machine becoming inoperable after an hour or so of use until they figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Beginning to think I should've bought the RTV. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Problem with HPX...... #5  
Darn that is not good.

This is a safety issue. You would think that the dealer would come get it and just give it the old tear down.

Are you giving them a piece of your mind? I would not want to be putting stuff out there that quits after an hour. I mean you can get really far away from your home base in an hour.

I suppose you/they dumped the fuel, filters and lines, right?

Hang in there.....
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Problem with HPX......
They initially replaced the fuel pump but this time around chose not to do anything. They picked it up last Tuesday morning and just let it sit since they had no idea what to do. That's the part that upset me the most.

After a couple of phone conversations yesterday, they called and told me all they could do was return it until a remedy was discovered. Their theory is I can at least use it until it quits again. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Can't say I'm pleased with this......

/ Problem with HPX...... #7  
They seem to be 'shotgunning' the repair cause they don't have a clue. Tell them to replace the entire engine.. Call the zone office and raise holy [censored]

Frank

/ Problem with HPX...... #8  
Maybe you ought to offer to trade them out even for their diesel model of the HPX. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Problem with HPX......
I asked for a replacement of the same identical gas machine. Told me they couldn't do it because mine is used. That really pissed me off! Then they told me that their engineers would rebuild the thing from the ground up first and if that didn't fix it, then they would replace it.

I was told their protocol won't allow them to replace any parts until they hear something from "D-Tac", their worldwide technical database.

The situation is gettin kinda old already.........

/ Problem with HPX......
I've given them till next monday to resolve the issue with my HPX.

I stated that if there wasnt some type of solution by then, I would just give it back and walk away.

Then I'll look elsewhere for a different UTV.

Considering the new BushHog id the gator doesnt work out, anyone have any experience with or knowledge about these?

Chuck