Problems with RFM Tires.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
Two years ago I bought a Befco 84" RFM with pneumatic tires. Although I tried to keep the air pressure up, invaribly they would come off the rim when I would back up. If I wouldn't see it right away the tire would be destroyed. After going thru 3 or 4 tubes and 3 or 4 tires I gave up and ordered solid tires.
The solid tires weren't cheap, I think they ran about $65 each. When they came in I couldn't beleive they were such a low profile tire and the rubber was rock hard. Even though I was skeptical, I went ahead and put them on the mower. The ride was so harsh I could feel the difference on the tractor. I really like the mower but man does it take a pounding with those solid tires.
I am thinking about making another tire change for next summer. Am I the only one who has this problem? Can anyone give me some advice? This tire thing is getting expensive plus it is a real pain in the #@!*&.

Last edited:
   / Problems with RFM Tires. #2  
You bought the solid tires so I would run them. Got to be better than trying to keep air in the other tires. I have the solid rubber tires and those are getting kind of beat up. Maybe if your mower is taking a beating you might have to mow a little slower.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #3  
I have the same Befco w air tires and have had the same problems ...in fact, I stock two extra wheels w tires mounted.

You already understood part of the problem ...keep them aired up so they don't roll off the bead ...I run 60psi. And, of course keep the spindles (and the wheel hubs well greased (more frequently than you would think necessary) ...the wheel zerks are difficult to get onto, I'll admit.

and, I try to never reverse with the mower on the ground because the caster on the wheels just isn't designed right (IMHO). And, I am extra gentle over any dips, depressions, ruts, etc. Even sharp "spin steer" turns can unseat the bead so a soft touch on the go-pedal has helped a lot and I hardly ever have a problem anymore. (I have an HST ...don't know if it would be as easy to baby the turns with a geared machine)

I may have found some inexpensive foamed wheels-tires ...marathon, e.g.,

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #4  
You might look into having the pneumatic tires filled with low density foam.

/ Problems with RFM Tires.
Is this a problem experienced only with BEFCO mowers or is this a general RFM problem? Are the spindles and wheels on Woods mowers heavier?
When these solid tires wear out, I think I will go back to the air tires and follow your advice. Go higher on the air pressure and try to avoid backing up. Also, I am going to look at some tire options or build my own spindles. I might shoot off an email to BEFCO and see if they have any better ideas.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #6  
After having owned three 72" rear finishing mowers with solid tires with no problems I am curious as to why some like the pneumatic tires better.

/ Problems with RFM Tires.
whistlepig,
I thought the solid tires would be great. I think BEFCO just uses wheels and tires that are to small. That really surprised me because the rest of the mower is well built. When you put that much weight on small solid wheels it is a rough ride. When i went to the dealer to pick up the solid tires I was shocked at how low profile the tires were. I didn't measure it but there only appears to be about 1" to 1-1/2" per side. And the tires are not that wide either.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #8  
Bought a used (and slightly abused) BEFCO 72" RFM. Had to adjust the mounting as one of the tires had been unusually worn from rubbing against the deck. After fixing that though, I haven't had any trouble with the pneumatic style tires. I back up with them quite a bit. Don't run the equipment hard though.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #9  
whistlepig,
I thought the solid tires would be great. I think BEFCO just uses wheels and tires that are to small. That really surprised me because the rest of the mower is well built. When you put that much weight on small solid wheels it is a rough ride. When i went to the dealer to pick up the solid tires I was shocked at how low profile the tires were. I didn't measure it but there only appears to be about 1" to 1-1/2" per side. And the tires are not that wide either.

My first RFM was a 72" Italian made mower with solid tires and this mower literally beat itself to death. I have owned two 72" Woods solid tire mowers since then, a RM660 and presently a PRD7200 and the Woods mowers and they ride very smooth.

/ Problems with RFM Tires. #10  
Just rereading the thread on this and realized that my tires all have tubes in them. That would make a huge difference when the pressure is a little low. When I've run them when the air is virtually gone the valve stems will break off or tear free of the tube. That is really abuse though.