Problems with Stihl ms 250

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I have owned several Stihl saws but my last choice of buying a ms 250 has been quite a disappointment. It is very difficult to start when it is hot. Actually it doesn't start very well when it is cold either. When cold it starts but keeps bogging out when you try to give it some gas. When hot it don't even try to go. You can pull the rope until your tongue falls out. My other saw is a ms 361 and it starts and runs just fine. I really like having a lighter saw for certain jobs but this ms250 is more trouble then it's worth. I have taken it back to the dealer a couple of times and they fixed a couple other minor problems but haven't improved the starting issues. Sometimes it won't shut off either, you have to put the choke on to stall it out. But that is only necessary when you get lucky and get it to run in the first place. I have always liked Stihl saws but for the first time I am thinking about trying another brand.
CJ

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #2  
Sounds like a carburetor adjustment problem. Had similar problems but after adjusting carb screws per owners manual good as new. Also new gas, plug, and air filter will help.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #3  
I was going to offer to check it for you, but you are 2hrs 10mins drive one way.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #4  
Depending on how mechanical you are getting a carb rebuild kit from the Stihl shop or Ebay. Or getting a new carb. and throwing it on there. First thing to do before that is replace the fuel tank filter if you haven't already as a start. Next if you can get at it is try to get it started again unless your tongue falls out. Pick the tongue back up out of the dirt and put it back in. Then if the saw is running spray carb cleaner around the carb to cylinder head connection. See if that changes how it is running. You might have a bad gasket between carb and head. Also another thing to look at is the spark arrestor screen on the muffler to make sure it isn't clogged up with anything. I am guessing you are starting with FRESH gas and mix not some old crud gas that has been sitting in a rusty metal can for 6 months.
Another thing is mix some fuel stabilizer cleaner in with your gas mix.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #5  
I had a similar problem with a MS180 (I think?). Eventually warped a head, not sure why. When I replaced it, I went with a small Echo. US made and my old CS3000 is stone reliable.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250
Ok, I am going to try to follow Treemonkey's advice the best I can. I might even try another dealer. And if those two things don't work I am going the same route as MrWippy. My Kubota dealer carries the Echo brand and I have a lot of confidence in their maintenance dept. The ms250 is a great saw when it's running. It has a great power to weight ratio. When I first bought it, it seemed to start and stay running better. Now some days it just refuses to start. I will let you know how I make out.
Cj

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #7  
It was Sea Foam was the fuel stabilizer cleaner that I was trying to think of to run through your carb. I have had good results in the past pulling off the diaphragm on the bottom of the carb and cleaning those out. The primary thing is don't tear it and remember which side is up and which way it is facing as far as the flapper valves on it. A little bit of oxidation from moisture or crud sucked in will really whack the performance out.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #8  
I have a stihl hs80r hedge cutter ( I'm guessing similar size engine). It always has to be choked, left to warm up for a few minutes then run - any gas before that & it'll stall. Once running its perfect!

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #9  
I have the same issue with my MS250. The dealer has been very gracious about it, but this has been ongoing for some time now. My MS 271 is flawless and so is my ancient 86 series. If this had been my first Stihl product I would never bought another one.

/ Problems with Stihl ms 250 #10  
If you look I have a thread in this forum a few months old where I had similar problems with my MS250 not running well. In my case it was a badly scored piston and cylinder. I ended up rebuilding it for about $100 and it now runs great. I discovered the problem by taking the muffler off and looking in the exhaust port. There are several possibilities on what caused the problem but most likely it got ran with no oil in the fuel. Not saying that is your problem but easy to check.
ACF97EB4-50D9-49AC-AD17-4DBDF2E3F0BE.jpeg