Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #1  
Tractor
IHI 35J Excavator
Hello everyone,

im new to the site and this is my first post. I picked up a older IHI 35J excavator. I’m slowly bringing it back to life. Was told the fuel pump wasn’t working. Back story: it was in a pasture for many years. Asked owner would it be for sale. He replied no I’m going to fix it. I said ok. Him and I became very good friends. He was much older than me. He knew I could work on things and fix them. So he always asked me to check things out and see if I could fix them. Well I did. But never charged him anything. He would get mad when I did this. Well some years later he became very sick and I’d brush hog his property and help the wife out around the farm. He he pasted away. I continued to help her out with things and never except any money. She would also get upset. One day she came to me and offered me the excavator that I’d been wanting to see if I could fix it. We discussed a fair price. Only one thing in agreement is I’d never sell it to anyone else. She wanted to see it running again as her late husband loved that little thing. So I brought it.( End of story)

I started on it right away. Checked it out and come to find out pumps were fine but it had only 150-160 compression so motor was bad. It was a Isuzu 3LD1 3 cylinder which is now discontinued☹️ After many calls and hours of searching I found parts to rebuild it. Got it rebuilt and reinstalled in it. Now I’ve got it running and working slowly replacing hoses and repacking cylinders.

But here is my problem. The hydraulics on arm and bucket seam very weak. When I pulled the motor. I drained the old hydraulic fluid out and added new per manual. Cleaned the strainer filter. Which was like nothing there on it. So what should my next move be to find this problem??

Attachments

• 770B38D2-A0B3-4EB8-BD95-45AB00696236.jpeg
    770B38D2-A0B3-4EB8-BD95-45AB00696236.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 219
   / Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #2  
I would start by plumbing a pressure gauge into the system and see what the pump is putting out.

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life
I would start by plumbing a pressure gauge into the system and see what the pump is putting out.
Ok thank you. I’ll have to order some gauges.

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #4  
A quick check for intra cylinder (bad cylinder piston seals) leakage is to raise the boom, stick and bucket, shut off the machine and see if either boom, stick or bucket bleed down.

I noticed the bucket cylinder missing in the picture maybe you’ve already done all those checks.

Last edited:
A quick check for intra cylinder (bad cylinder piston seals) leakage is to raise the boom, stick and bucket, shut off the machine and see if either boom, stick or bucket bleed down.

I noticed the bucket cylinder missing in the picture maybe you’ve already done all those checks.
I’ve had the arm cylinder repacked because after start up of rebuilt engine it was leaking out front seal while running. The bucket cylinder did same thing after three hours of trying to dig a ditch. So it’s in shop now and replacing hoses that go to it.

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #6  
Hello everyone,

im new to the site and this is my first post. I picked up a older IHI 35J excavator. I’m slowly bringing it back to life. Was told the fuel pump wasn’t working. Back story: it was in a pasture for many years. Asked owner would it be for sale. He replied no I’m going to fix it. I said ok. Him and I became very good friends. He was much older than me. He knew I could work on things and fix them. So he always asked me to check things out and see if I could fix them. Well I did. But never charged him anything. He would get mad when I did this. Well some years later he became very sick and I’d brush hog his property and help the wife out around the farm. He he pasted away. I continued to help her out with things and never except any money. She would also get upset. One day she came to me and offered me the excavator that I’d been wanting to see if I could fix it. We discussed a fair price. Only one thing in agreement is I’d never sell it to anyone else. She wanted to see it running again as her late husband loved that little thing. So I brought it.( End of story)

I started on it right away. Checked it out and come to find out pumps were fine but it had only 150-160 compression so motor was bad. It was a Isuzu 3LD1 3 cylinder which is now discontinued☹️ After many calls and hours of searching I found parts to rebuild it. Got it rebuilt and reinstalled in it. Now I’ve got it running and working slowly replacing hoses and repacking cylinders.

But here is my problem. The hydraulics on arm and bucket seam very weak. When I pulled the motor. I drained the old hydraulic fluid out and added new per manual. Cleaned the strainer filter. Which was like nothing there on it. So what should my next move be to find this problem??
That is a SWEET looking machine!

That is a SWEET looking machine!
Thank you very much. I’ve been sanding and painting it up a little here and there.
I ordered the pressure gauge kit from Amazon today. Should be here the 18th. Still waiting for the cylinder and hoses for bucket to be done.

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #8  
Thank you very much. I’ve been sanding and painting it up a little here and there.
I ordered the pressure gauge kit from Amazon today. Should be here the 18th. Still waiting for the cylinder and hoses for bucket to be done.
Please do keep us up to date!
Many of us like to live vicariously!

Ok everyone, I got the Bucket cylinder and two new hoses back this morning. I I stalled it and changed the hydraulic filter at same time. I had previously drained tank and pulled strainer filter and checked that. Filled system and worked system slowly to get air out and warm fluid up and shut down and rechecked. Worked everything and seamed better. Loaded it on my trailer (that’s a fun thing for a beginner). Chained down and went to a friends house the had a beaver dam problem. It did a excellent job. I still think it’s a little weak on concern movements. I’ve got a gauge kit ordered. So I’m going to check pressures when that comes in. Pictures included after work was done. It’s a little dirty.
87899001-B8CC-4F49-9ED2-A30355E699A5.jpeg
7C506E27-5B58-42E5-9190-6EDA0CF41277.jpeg

/ Project IHI 35J excavator bring back to life #10  
Ok everyone, I got the Bucket cylinder and two new hoses back this morning. I I stalled it and changed the hydraulic filter at same time. I had previously drained tank and pulled strainer filter and checked that. Filled system and worked system slowly to get air out and warm fluid up and shut down and rechecked. Worked everything and seamed better. Loaded it on my trailer (that’s a fun thing for a beginner). Chained down and went to a friends house the had a beaver dam problem. It did a excellent job. I still think it’s a little weak on concern movements. I’ve got a gauge kit ordered. So I’m going to check pressures when that comes in. Pictures included after work was done. It’s a little dirty.
View attachment 702192View attachment 702193
I am envious!
More than just a little!