Project tractor

/ Project tractor #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I am posting this here not because I want to discount the big 3, but because I don’t want to rule out the little guys also. I am looking for the best place to buy a “project” tractor. I love working on old, and abused equipment[ya, I know, I’m strange/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif ]and I will be looking for a bigger tractor in the future, and don’t have a lot of money to spend. I have looked at dealers, and in the want ads, but it seems that people only sell “sellable” tractor. I keep my eyes open when I go down the road to see if I see anything dead in a treeline, but no luck. Also any tips as to what is unfixable in a tractor? I can fix most anything, but don’t have much experience with tractors. So any ideas where I could look? Also I have an open mind. Old, newer, US built, Japan, third world, whatever, as long as I can get parts. Thanks.

/ Project tractor #2  
If you are talking vintage tractors then stay away from John Deere, most people that own these tractors know they are worth some money and want top dollar for them but you can still find a deal on one if you search hard. Farmalls, Allis Chalmers, and Case are fairly inexpensive still and you can still get parts for them but the dealers don't always want to help. As far as foreign tractors you will have trouble finding parts for them and information for them. The nice thing about JD,s if you find one is the dealers are wonderful for helping get parts for them and they still have parts for them, also JD has a cd parts book out for them that has almost every two cylinder tractor on it with exploded looks at the tractors and part numbers for every bolt and nut. It is easier to fix JD,s but more costly on the investment. If you want something small and fun look for an Allis Chalmers B as it is light enough and small enough to work on. Have fun.

/ Project tractor #3  
Paul,
I agree bring life back to yesterday iron can be fun and rewarding,but it also takes lot of time and be carefull it doesn't nickle and dime you to almost death. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
The man to ask about a good project tractor would be Robert_in_NY,for he seems to have a good in sight. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif or maybe farm equipment auction.
What would be your plans for the tractor when finish..keep or sell.
Do you want 4WD or 2WD,FEL,Gas or Diesel,Horse Power Range,Age of tractor,Do you have an area to restore and time etc..

If it was me I would look for about mid 60's to mid 70's model 2WD around 30hp,and a FEL could be added on at a later date.

Just don't purchase the first tractor that sounds good to start your project..kinda like hunting.

Have fun and keep us posted.

/ Project tractor
<font color=red>What would be your plans for the tractor when finish..keep or sell.</font color=red>

Keep it. I have rebuilt enuff stuff to know you never get your money out of it.

<font color=red>Do you want 4WD or 2WD,FEL,Gas or Diesel,Horse Power Range,Age of tractor</font color=red>

Open. Just want something that will take a FEL, brush hog, and a few other 3PH stuff. Only thing is it has to have a 3PH, and have a usable PTO. Oh and no narrow front ends. I am not concerned about power steering or anything. I am a big guy, and will be just putzing around with it.

<font color=red>Do you have an area to restore and time etc..</font color=red>

Will be building a new house starting in spring. by fall will have a garage to work on it. Only thing is it will have to shere space with an old Mustang my wife and I are restoring.

/ Project tractor #5  
<font color=blue> "I keep my eyes open when I go down the road to see if I see anything dead in a treeline, but no luck." </font color=blue>

I see these "treeline" tractors everyday around here. This is farm country. If you want me to keep an eye out for a specific brand let me know..

Buck

/ Project tractor #6  
Paul, I agree that the most successful restoration will be tractors from the 60s and 70s. These can be turned into real workers. Are you looking for antiques to collect, or hard working iron that can use modern implements? Don't overlook the older Ford Ns and Fergusons. Parts availability is a real plus for those tractors. If you don't have a machine shop where you can build/repair parts, your choices are going to be restricted to parts availability. On some others, you may need to buy two tractors and cannabilize one of them. In Texas, there are some pretty awesome tractor salvage yards. One near McKinney, TX has about four acres of rusting tractors packed so tightly together you can hardly get between them all. Do you not have anything similar in your area?

/ Project tractor #7  
Robert,
I notice you didn't mention Ford also..any reason why??

I agree about JD and restoring them..$$..and big $$$'s in this area,and Ford not to far behind them.

/ Project tractor #8  
You might want to look at some of the classified ads at www.yesterdaystractors.com I'm guessing that the people who post there are hoping to get top dollar, but it might give you an idea of what's out there. Good luck!

/ Project tractor #9  
s1120,

Here's an old plow by a fence. You'll have to cut down some trees to get to it, though.

Buck

Attachments

• 19-97523-j.jpg
    19-97523-j.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 175
   / Project tractor #10  
I love ford products and drive Ford trucks that is why I bought a NH because of the color but the N series and most of the fords are overpriced to buy and restore. If you already have the tractor then it helps but to buy one in the condition he wants will cost him to restore then it is worth?