Propane prices..

/ Propane prices.. #51  
Why? Filling tanks isn't rocket science. If your average 17 yo at the local gas station can be trained to do it I'm sure normal homeowners can too. Obviously some companies offer that setup (see deserteagle71's post above). Not everyone is paralyzed by liability worries.
Exactly!

I was nervous as hell the last time I had to get a couple 20lb cylinders filled at the local station. Guy who came out to do the filling was shaking and quaking like he was suffering withdrawals; I had to help HIM.

I was trained in filling smaller propane tanks from a bulk tank 50 years ago and had been doing it ever since as part of my job. Retired now, and the last thing I want to do is haul my tanks to town to be filled by a clueless person who had perhaps 5 minutes of instruction from another person who probably had only a vague idea of the correct way to fill a tank. And I sure don't want to be paying the bottle exchange prices!

/ Propane prices.. #52  
I can't blame them. Imagine the liability...
If the truth be told I'm willing to bet it's a lot more about how much more money they can make doing cylinder fills and exchanges than letting the customer fill their own tanks. My recent bulk delivery price was $2.32 a gallon. To have my tank filled by the propane company is at least a dollar more a gallon. To exchange my tank for a full tank is ~$25, at least around here.

/ Propane prices.. #53  
Who owns the tank, you or the supplier?
Doesn't matter because my supplier won't support the setup. I was just expressing that I wish my situation was like deserteagle's.

/ Propane prices.. #54  
Doesn't matter because my supplier won't support the setup. I was just expressing that I wish my situation was like deserteagle's.
I was just expressing the thought that they won’t on their tank. Customer owned equipment would be different. Underground tanks can’t be used. My propane supplier told me it was my choice with my purchased tank.

Last edited:
   / Propane prices.. #55  
$3X150G around here, 250G tank (owned) @80% max. Have wet line to fill 20/40# bottles. Thinking 20# holds 3 or 4G. I save about $10 in gas and an hour of drive time filling myself.