Propane tank question

/ Propane tank question #1  

alexinPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I got two 100 gal tanks for heating. My furnace is dual fuel so mostly firewood is used. In average 40 to 50 gallons used in the winter. Tanks are rented from local co (Eastern Propane).
The price now $4.97 per gal. That's because rentals and low quantity used. Now the question...
Can I use 2 100 Lbs tanks to replace 100 gal tanks. Would it be direct connection or regulators are different? Can this be done? Can I bring 100 lbs tank to propane station to be refilled?
Any other suggestions? Thanks,

/ Propane tank question #2  
100 lb tank is ~23 gallons.
$4.97/gal is huge, strongly suggest shopping around and buying a tank, then you can shop for best delivered price. Around here this time of year I can get $2-2.50/gallon, and that's California prices.

/ Propane tank question #3  
I got two 100 gal tanks for heating. My furnace is dual fuel so mostly firewood is used. In average 40 to 50 gallons used in the winter. Tanks are rented from local co (Eastern Propane).
The price now $4.97 per gal. That's because rentals and low quantity used. Now the question...
Can I use 2 100 Lbs tanks to replace 100 gal tanks. Would it be direct connection or regulators are different? Can this be done? Can I bring 100 lbs tank to propane station to be refilled?
Any other suggestions? Thanks,
Depends on how fast your furnace uses propane. The tank might freeze if there is a high consumption rate. Especially outside in the winter.

Using 2 100# instead of 100 gallons for connections depends on the connection. Maybe the same maybe different, you can place them with a “T” which would be different.

100# can be filled at a station. They get heavy when filled…

/ Propane tank question
100 lb tank is ~23 gallons.
$4.97/gal is huge, strongly suggest shopping around and buying a tank, then you can shop for best delivered price. Around here this time of year I can get $2-2.50/gallon, and that's California prices.
My other problem is delivery. After snow falls propane truck can't get up to my long steep driveway. That's why i'd rather do it myself when I need it

/ Propane tank question #5  
Look into purchasing a 250 gal above ground tank, probably $1200 - $1500, a 500 gallon would be a few hundred more. Shop around & fill when prices are lowest from whoever gives the best deal while a delivery is possible. Surplus capacity doesn't hurt, propane doesn't go bad.

/ Propane tank question #6  
My other problem is delivery. After snow falls propane truck can't get up to my long steep driveway. That's why i'd rather do it myself when I need it
Ideally figure out how much you need for the whole year, get a fill mid-summer when the prices are cheapest. That's the cheapest way to do it long-term, but it's obviously most expensive up-front.

/ Propane tank question #7  
I heat my garage/work shop with propane. Also use propane for the gas range and cloth dryer. I have 4 100# tanks.
My locale propane dealer delivers to me , I make sure that I have 3 tanks for him to fill each time. I keep track of the one for the domestic use, will rotate that with others so it stays pretty full all the time.

/ Propane tank question
I don't know much about propane tanks, so sorry if this question doesn't make sense, but
what specs should i look in my current setup to determine if tanks can be replaced with smaller size Is it pressure? Type of regulators? Something else?

/ Propane tank question #9  
Stumblehorse hinted at an important factor. Size of tank determines the max withdrawal rate. You need to total all the gas requirements in your house... furnace, stove, gas dryer, etc. The number will be in BTU. That determines the minimum tank size or combination of tank sizes. PA can get very cold and too small tank capacity won't be pretty.

/ Propane tank question #10  
First, the size of tank has nothing to do with the internal pressure of the tank. The pressure is solely dependent on the ambient temperature and can be upwards of 200 psi. The pressure is controlled by a regulator and depending on the distances involved there may be more than one regulator. In my case the regulator at the tank steps it down to 10 psi (which is considered hi pressure - for propane) at the house is further stepped down to an 11 inch water column (somewhere around 1/2 psi) The size of distribution pipe matters as well on providing enough gas to meet the BTU requirements.

You will need to add up all your gas appliances to get a total BTU count - this is an important number! You will also need to know the coldest temperature you expect to see. You can then use the tank size you want to use with the ambient temperature to see if it will vaporize enough gas to meet that total BTU count. (Propane gas is in the form of a liquid in the tank with the propane gas above the liquid.)

Vaporization rate

There are charts for the different tanks. Vaporization depends on the surface area and temperature of the liquid propane, so a horizontal tank will have it's highest rate when half full because it has the greatest surface area at that point.