Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #81  
I actually live far from the city in farm/ranch country. But my state is one of the largest gas producers and gas companies have run NG lines down rural county roads everywhere.
Same here. Major natural gas line runs along the county road, right next to one of my property lines. However, NO ONE around here can access the line - we have no idea where the line is actually taking the gas. Probably California. Just like all the solar power Nevada produces - it all goes to California.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #82  
Same here. Major natural gas line runs along the county road, right next to one of my property lines. However, NO ONE around here can access the line - we have no idea where the line is actually taking the gas. Probably California. Just like all the solar power Nevada produces - it all goes to California.

There's probably good reason, as that is no doubt a high pressure gas line which something like 500 to 1,400 psi. Pretty sure to get it down low enough for residential distribution requires a bank of regulators. Not likely they're gonna do that for a ranch house.

My underground tank has buried anodes, and can be tested without too much trouble . . . it never has been. Advantages of an underground tank: It won't roll away during an earthquake, being underground it's protected from fire, since it's not subject to temperature swings, it's possible to get it filled to more than 80% (though this is up to the servicing company). And of course, it's out of sight.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #83  
I bought my 500 in '98 ... paid something like $700 or so. Any company will fill an owned tank, but not rentals. Thing is, to switch companies, they want to do a 'safety inspection' even though it's been in continual use. Some want a full list of all appliances attached including serial numbers which means they come inside the house and move appliances to read them. Not gonna happen. Per gallon rates vary quite a bit too.

Amerigas sent several post cards this past years offering promos and discounts. I dug around on their website and found all kinds of red flags and scammy terminology.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #84  
Boy, sounds like propane policies vary widely by region.

I moved here in 1994 and ALWAYS had to pay tank rental to Amerigas. There are two other propane companies that service this area and both of them charge tank rental also.
I'm sure regulations vary from state to state, much like pricing.
There's someone on TBN who's always quoting prices that are something like a third of what we pay here.
I bought my 500 in '98 ... paid something like $700 or so. Any company will fill an owned tank, but not rentals. Thing is, to switch companies, they want to do a 'safety inspection' even though it's been in continual use.
Maybe where you live, but not true everywhere. A company I worked for had an owned tank, and only one supplier would fill it, naturally the one with the highest prices and was the biggest PITA to deal with.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #85  
It's probably universal that companies will not fill rental tanks that are not theirs. I gather most states require the propane company to safety check appliances before the first time filling an "owner" tank. They've never asked to do that twice, as a group of neighbors here typically shop together before the end of summer for best price, so we are dealing with several companies based on best price.

Under current "administration" expect all fossil fuel prices to skyrocket.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #86  
It's probably universal that companies will not fill rental tanks that are not theirs. I gather most states require the propane company to safety check appliances before the first time filling an "owner" tank. They've never asked to do that twice, as a group of neighbors here typically shop together before the end of summer for best price, so we are dealing with several companies based on best price.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #87  
So how come prices are rising all over the world? The U.S. doesn't have that much clout.

Got the bill today for my last propane fill up. $4.55/gal!! :eek: Glad we don't use it for heating! The good news is that they waived the tank rental fee they originally billed me for.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #88  

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 236
Purchased my 500 gal.tanks few years back price was $500 for the one tank & $600 for the other.Nice to shop price now..

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #89  
Neighbor just told me their 500G buried tank is leaking and has to be replaced. They noticed an odor last Spring and the company thought it was the valve, but they didn't have time to work on it right then since the people only use it for Winter heat. The company came back more recently to work on it and found it was the tank itself. They've had it less time than I've had mine.

They're going with a surface tank this time.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #90  
What's the problem? The don't have a backhoe and a welder? :D