Propane Usage Meter

/ Propane Usage Meter #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Is there a meter I can get to determine propane usage?
I'm a routed customer and the tank gets filled periodically. I'd like a way to check the amount of gallons I'm charged for is somewhat close to what I'm using ... if you know what I mean.
Thanks,
Rob-

/ Propane Usage Meter #2  
I installed for a client a remote meter that tells how much propane is in the tank or tanks. It shows the amount in percentage of how much is in the tank. Start of the day with 45.1%, ends with 44.8% at the end of the day, .3% used. For amount used you probably need a flow meter with a counter like a water meter or gas meter.

Cary:cool:

/ Propane Usage Meter #3  
There are definitely products out there to measure gas flow, but i dont know of any that would be consider reasonably priced. Heres a link to one company that carries various types of flow meters that would suit your needs, but they aint cheap. Maybe you could find something on ebay? Alot of old process control equipment ends up there. OMEGA Engineering, Inc. - Omega's pH, Flow, and Environmental Table of Contents

What about a load cell? Would that work? But, that wouldnt be all that cheap either

/ Propane Usage Meter #4  
Hi Rob,
Don't spend too much time in propane usage contemplation, or your burgers may burn!
Do you suspect a leak? or getting ripped off by the propane delivery gallons charged?
Here is a quick rough chart...
....................... .................Remaining Fuel...................
Gauge reading.........250 Gallon tank........500 gallon tank
80%................................200...........................400
70%................................175...........................350
60%................................150...........................300
50%................................125...........................250
40%................................100...........................200
30%................................. 75...........................150
20%..................................50...........................100
10%..................................25.............................50

The problem getting an accurate reading is because the tank sides are curved, the % meter float in the tank measures linear height of the liquid. The curve of the tank makes the % readings non linear. I could figure this out with the cross sectional dimensions of the tank to calculate a fudge factor to use for the various percent levels. But I'm too lazy and don't really give it that much thought ;)

Larry

PS -
The formula is: percentage on the gauge, times 1.2, equals the number of gallons left in the tank (% X 1.2 = Gallons)
(Roughly)

/ Propane Usage Meter #5  
When I had propane, the delivery person always left a card with the gallonage printed on it. It was printed by the meter on the truck. I don't know if those meters are checked by the state, like the gas pumps are, but they might be.

I verified my usage by computing the amount of propane required to meet my furnance's BTU/HR rating. I obtained the hours run from my thermostat, which would log filter hours.

I was able to verify that my supplier was honest and propane was an awfully expensive way to heat a house. I now have a heat pump.

/ Propane Usage Meter
Wow, a lot of information. Thanks to all of you.
I don't think I have a leak but really would like to monitor how much propane I use between the house, barn and generator. Reason is I had my tank filled about 2 months ago and then just last week. It took 200 gals to top it off. I thought that was high but then we ran the generator a lot more than usual. We've also been running the furnace so it's not freezing when we arrive at 11pm Tuesday evenings and also for an hour in the mornings before we wake up. I guess that would attribute to the excess usage?
In any event, it's sort of a double check to be sure the propane company is not ripping me off or some thing.
I will research the links and stuff.
Thanks again,
Rob-

/ Propane Usage Meter #8  
A hundred gallons a month for house and shop during the winter with running a gen set and furnace and you complain? I heat with wood and use nearly that much!

jb

/ Propane Usage Meter #9  
If they are selling by the meter on the truck, which they are, it has to be a 'Legal for Trade' device. If you can get some type of printout or whatever from the meter it will be pretty accurate.

I used to work for an 'onboard' scale company and 'Legal for Trade' for a scale was something like accurate to 1/10th of 1% over the entire range of the scale. The flow meters I believe are not quite as accurate as the density of material dispensed can vary with temperature (like gas pumps are calibrated to 60 degrees, much warmer than that and you're getting ripped off, much colder and you are getting yours ;) )

/ Propane Usage Meter #10  
A hundred gallons a month for house and shop during the winter with running a gen set and furnace and you complain? I heat with wood and use nearly that much!

jb

Yeah, I'd be singing, and dancing if I could get by on 100 gallons. :cool: