Proper oil for Tractor

/ Proper oil for Tractor #11  
Kubota's oil suggestions are GOOD, if and only if, you are using #2D or LSD type fuels.

Sulfur is corrosive and causes the oil to acidify over time, with the current (since Oct 2006) ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) there is no need to use the "older" API oils, in fact doing so with ULSD is not a good thing in the long term. The "newer" CJ oils are specially formulated for ULSD but are not appropriate for engines using #2D or LSD fuels, although for our applications where oil is changed on a relatively early schedule, I doubt there would be any problems using it.

Modern oils are FAR FAR superior to those that were used even in the late '80s, I suggest we all use the most current oils we can find, unless there is a good reason to use an oil with a previous API designation (like you are using LSD fuels).

/ Proper oil for Tractor #12  
I live at 7,100 ft. elev. but summers get in the high 80's sometimes and winters in the -20 range. I use Amsoil HDD (heavy Duty Diesel) 5W30.

DEWFPO

/ Proper oil for Tractor #13  
The Amsoil HDD is great oil I have used it before it is a great oil, Especially with your listed temperatures I am at 6300 feet here, but we get 20 below on average jan and feb and as low as 30 below......so I hi fellow cold weather friend

/ Proper oil for Tractor #14  
The Amsoil HDD is great oil I have used it before it is a great oil, Especially with your listed temperatures I am at 6300 feet here, but we get 20 below on average jan and feb and as low as 30 below......so I hi fellow cold weather friend

:drink:

DEWFPO

/ Proper oil for Tractor #15  

Yea their HDD is good but a 15w-40 is too thick for me..There new 5w-40 looks better.

Last edited:
   / Proper oil for Tractor #16  
1*Maybe I should just start buying the on road diesel and take the tax credit for off road use.

2*However none of these oils are specified for high sulfur diesel.
1*You would not be gaining a thing.
On road and off road are the same thing .

2*Shouldn't matter much if any as nearly all the high sulfur diesel has been used up
And all they make now is U L S D .

/ Proper oil for Tractor #18  
the hdd is 5w-30

overpriced..Use there 5w-40 since at least it passes the CJ spec. There new 5w-40 has a better HTHS, pump temps are close, 4-ball is meaning less so throw that out the door but there HDD has a better TBN. If you need it use that..For the extra $6 per gallon, you might not need it. The TBN is lower on CJ oil since it has less ZDDP in it.

I used it for a few years (hdd=S3000) but not needed.