Prospective purchase for the mountains.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #31  
Low center of gravity, big footprint, and your butt in a lawn chair watching it work . . .

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #32  
Hey all,

Last year, we purchased 105 acres in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are mostly wooded with about 6 acres of meadows in hollows and plenty of overgrown old logging roads that we'd like to reclaim. The prior owners quit maintaining everything a few years ago except for the lawn around the house and the driveway.

The main driveway is about a 3/4 mile and is useable for now. The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition. In addition to cleanup, there seems to always be something on the property that needs done (trees, brush, etc).

Our original intent was to hire out local professionals to support the maintenance, but it is clearly cost prohibitive considering the ongoing work required. I'm capable of learning, but an I am admitted "city slicker" with no experience with tractors.

I'm looking for advice!

I tried local dealers with experience in the area, however nothing is in stock. I've found a 2038r in North Florida for what I consider an acceptable deal in these current times. However, the advice from dealer seems limited to their experience in tropical temps and flat ground use. For example: I was told that extra ballast isn't required except for filling up the tires with water (only water). Wheel spacers are not beneficial. I'm not knocking them, because they know their stuff.. just not familiar with the terrain of another area.

So I'm seeking out some advice and support from the forums. My first and major concern is safety with regards to tipping/rolling the tractor in the mountains.

1. My inclinometer has 13 degrees vertical as the max of our main roads on the property and that's just the driveways. I'm very concerned about tipping the tractor and wanting to configure it in the safest way for the mountains.

2. I was going to start with box blade, forks and bush-hog, (and ballast) and wait until determining if I need other equipment. Looking for input on if the standard frontier implements BB2060, RC2060 is adequate.

3. What comparative models would you recommend from Kubota, Massey etc..

4. What advice would you give to someone who is using their equipment higher in the mountains? I would probably use a Zero turn for the lawn grass. Tractor is truly for utility.

Thanks everyone!
Congratulations, beautiful area! Where, generally, are you? My wife was raised in Hayesville, we recently sold our place near Franklin/Cashiers, so I feel ya on riding seat high on a side hill tractor. Be careful. One thing I did was put 5 inch axle extensions on the rear wheels. You’ll hear cautions about bearing wear, but my conclusion was any roll-over prevented was more valuable than any bearing replacement. Beyond that, always use your seat belt, keep your rollover bar inspected and up, and let people know where you’ll be working.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #33  
I just bought a PowerTrac, specifically because I have very little flat ground.
Built in USA, very versatile
They excel in areas that traditional tractors cannot operate safely, and they are priced very competitively.
Thanks for the info. Love the design and really love Deutz diesels.
Are parts easy to come by?

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #34  
I just bought a PowerTrac, specifically because I have very little flat ground.
Built in USA, very versatile
They excel in areas that traditional tractors cannot operate safely, and they are priced very competitively.
Thanks for the info. Love the design and really love Deutz diesels.
Are parts easy to come by?

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #35  
Yes. But only from the factory in Tazewell, Virginia.

Power Trac has no dealers. Factory direct only.

Power Trac's parts service is praised on T-B-N regularly.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #36  
I've done some things with a larger tractor near mountains, and would start with a smaller/readily available tractor and go up from there. You're going to develop some specialized preferences that will only be addressed in time with all the options out there.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #37  
I am very late to the conversation
have not read the other posts

I have 166 acres of hilly wooded land

my minimum equipment suggestion:
4x4 tractor, 50 HP and rear hydraulics
Excavator with dozer blade and thumb, 18,000 pound and 30 GPM hydraulic pump

my minimum attachment suggestion:

Tractor:
FEL with skidsteer quick attach
Hydraulic box blade
Wallenstein PTO winch with trailer hitch
Mower

Excavator:
Frost tooth - ripping stumps from the ground
Mower head - grind up small trees and brush
Auger - fence posts
Grapple

Attachments

• Bobcat 331 ripper tooth.jpg
    Bobcat 331 ripper tooth.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 78
   / Prospective purchase for the mountains. #38  

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #39  
Hey all,

Last year, we purchased 105 acres in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are mostly wooded with about 6 acres of meadows in hollows and plenty of overgrown old logging roads that we'd like to reclaim. The prior owners quit maintaining everything a few years ago except for the lawn around the house and the driveway.

The main driveway is about a 3/4 mile and is useable for now. The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition. In addition to cleanup, there seems to always be something on the property that needs done (trees, brush, etc).

Our original intent was to hire out local professionals to support the maintenance, but it is clearly cost prohibitive considering the ongoing work required. I'm capable of learning, but an I am admitted "city slicker" with no experience with tractors.

I'm looking for advice!

I tried local dealers with experience in the area, however nothing is in stock. I've found a 2038r in North Florida for what I consider an acceptable deal in these current times. However, the advice from dealer seems limited to their experience in tropical temps and flat ground use. For example: I was told that extra ballast isn't required except for filling up the tires with water (only water). Wheel spacers are not beneficial. I'm not knocking them, because they know their stuff.. just not familiar with the terrain of another area.

So I'm seeking out some advice and support from the forums. My first and major concern is safety with regards to tipping/rolling the tractor in the mountains.

1. My inclinometer has 13 degrees vertical as the max of our main roads on the property and that's just the driveways. I'm very concerned about tipping the tractor and wanting to configure it in the safest way for the mountains.

2. I was going to start with box blade, forks and bush-hog, (and ballast) and wait until determining if I need other equipment. Looking for input on if the standard frontier implements BB2060, RC2060 is adequate.

3. What comparative models would you recommend from Kubota, Massey etc..

4. What advice would you give to someone who is using their equipment higher in the mountains? I would probably use a Zero turn for the lawn grass. Tractor is truly for utility.

Thanks everyone!
I agree with all the comments regarding caution. I laid my kubota on its side and luckily i was wearing my seatbelt. I wasnt injured, but my pride and respect was both adjusted - a lot! I learned just how quickly a heavy peice of equipment can flip. It lands with a HARD thud. I am convinced i may not be here if i hadnt had my seatbelt on.

That being said, i see our highway dept. i Arkansas mowing the freeway on serious inclines all the time. Those guys have my respect.

it looks like all of their equipment is Large JDs. Maybe you should visit with some of your local folks to see what they use.

stay safe...

Randy

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #40  
Hey Boozle! It is good to hear from another guy in WNC. We are around Bryson City. We don’t have as much land as you, but I know the terrain you are dealing with.

I use my Massey 1529, (approximately 4000lbs as it sits fully outfitted), to mow, maintain roads, move rocks and trees, and gather firewood. Here are my thoughts...

My tractor is 28 hp and I have found the power to be sufficient for my needs.

I have the rear rims filled, but not with water! It gets cold here at times. The added weight is very much needed.

I would highly recommend wheel spacers for the rear.

I added a third function for the loader so could add a grapple. The grapple is super handy and is my favorite attachment. I went with EA brand and it has held up very well. To add the grapple, I also added a quick disconnect to the loader. This is all doable, but if buying new, get these from the dealer.

I also have a straight rear blade and a box blade with teeth. They both work well and excel at different tasks. I wish I had extra remotes at the rear for top and tilt on the 3 pt. That would be handy when maintaining the road. Again, it is easier to get that stuff on the tractor when new.

I started maybe 5 years ago with no tractor experience, and I have learned a lot from this forum. There is plenty of good advice to keep you safe here.

Good luck! It is a wonderful place to live.

Dean

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR