Prospective purchase for the mountains.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #41  
As recommended before I would suggest you look for a farm/utility tractor If your funds are relatively unlimited there are many that are manufactured with mechanical four wheel drive, loader capable, standard three point hitch and PTO. They are heavier and wider than a compact, more stabile on slopes and have unlimited uses. If your funds are limited or you just don't want to spend a lot of money look for a used tractor that may already have a loader on it. If you don't know what to look for on a used tractor take a knowledgeable friend or a good mechanic that knows his tractors with you before you purchase it. Many of the older 60's & 70's vintage tractor were not equipped with four wheel drive but the late 70's and after four wheel drive became a popular option. Also remember those types of tractors are going to be more roomy and the foot boards are larger so your feet won't get stuck getting on or off, you won't have to move to one side or the other so you can operate the controls. If you see something that interests you check it out on www.tractordata.com Don't know if you favor one brand over another but remember you are going to need a dealer for support now and again. So be sure there is a dealer reasonably close that you can get what you need quickly and within reasonable prices. That said if you are somewhat mechanical or have someone who can turn wrenches there are many part suppliers on the net that will be happy to fill your needs at less than dealer prices but most will need shipping time. My Opinion: I would look for a used ag or industrial tractor made by a major manufacturer. Prices may be a bit higher but you can usually get better support and parts from them. But as a person new to equipment be sure you have proper ballast if you have a loader (Even a barrel filled with concrete on the three point hitch) and remember to always keep the bucket low as possible.
Have a great day

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #42  
Hey all,

Last year, we purchased 105 acres in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are mostly wooded with about 6 acres of meadows in hollows and plenty of overgrown old logging roads that we'd like to reclaim. The prior owners quit maintaining everything a few years ago except for the lawn around the house and the driveway.

The main driveway is about a 3/4 mile and is useable for now. The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition. In addition to cleanup, there seems to always be something on the property that needs done (trees, brush, etc).

Our original intent was to hire out local professionals to support the maintenance, but it is clearly cost prohibitive considering the ongoing work required. I'm capable of learning, but an I am admitted "city slicker" with no experience with tractors.

I'm looking for advice!

I tried local dealers with experience in the area, however nothing is in stock. I've found a 2038r in North Florida for what I consider an acceptable deal in these current times. However, the advice from dealer seems limited to their experience in tropical temps and flat ground use. For example: I was told that extra ballast isn't required except for filling up the tires with water (only water). Wheel spacers are not beneficial. I'm not knocking them, because they know their stuff.. just not familiar with the terrain of another area.

So I'm seeking out some advice and support from the forums. My first and major concern is safety with regards to tipping/rolling the tractor in the mountains.

1. My inclinometer has 13 degrees vertical as the max of our main roads on the property and that's just the driveways. I'm very concerned about tipping the tractor and wanting to configure it in the safest way for the mountains.

2. I was going to start with box blade, forks and bush-hog, (and ballast) and wait until determining if I need other equipment. Looking for input on if the standard frontier implements BB2060, RC2060 is adequate.

3. What comparative models would you recommend from Kubota, Massey etc..

4. What advice would you give to someone who is using their equipment higher in the mountains? I would probably use a Zero turn for the lawn grass. Tractor is truly for utility.

Thanks everyone!

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #43  
Thanks for the info. Love the design and really love Deutz diesels.
Are parts easy to come by?

Yes. Anything you would ever need can be purchased Straight from the factory at Tazewell Va.
Also they use standard parts, and will cross reference numbers for you, so you can buy maintenance parts elsewhere.
you absolutely could not ask for a better group of people to do business with there.
Especially if you like old fashioned, straightforward no nonsense types of people.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #44  
They make low profile tractors for work inside chicken houses. Ideal for low center of gravity.
4wd is a must. Water will freeze but antifreeze can be added to eliminate that drawback as a form of ballast.

skid steers have wide variety of attachments and a very low center of gravity.
GradeMaster blade will grade roads 10 times better than a box blade and they have skid steer models

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #45  
Hey all,

Last year, we purchased 105 acres in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are mostly wooded with about 6 acres of meadows in hollows and plenty of overgrown old logging roads that we'd like to reclaim. The prior owners quit maintaining everything a few years ago except for the lawn around the house and the driveway.

The main driveway is about a 3/4 mile and is useable for now. The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition. In addition to cleanup, there seems to always be something on the property that needs done (trees, brush, etc).

Our original intent was to hire out local professionals to support the maintenance, but it is clearly cost prohibitive considering the ongoing work required. I'm capable of learning, but an I am admitted "city slicker" with no experience with tractors.

I'm looking for advice!

I tried local dealers with experience in the area, however nothing is in stock. I've found a 2038r in North Florida for what I consider an acceptable deal in these current times. However, the advice from dealer seems limited to their experience in tropical temps and flat ground use. For example: I was told that extra ballast isn't required except for filling up the tires with water (only water). Wheel spacers are not beneficial. I'm not knocking them, because they know their stuff.. just not familiar with the terrain of another area.

So I'm seeking out some advice and support from the forums. My first and major concern is safety with regards to tipping/rolling the tractor in the mountains.

1. My inclinometer has 13 degrees vertical as the max of our main roads on the property and that's just the driveways. I'm very concerned about tipping the tractor and wanting to configure it in the safest way for the mountains.

2. I was going to start with box blade, forks and bush-hog, (and ballast) and wait until determining if I need other equipment. Looking for input on if the standard frontier implements BB2060, RC2060 is adequate.

3. What comparative models would you recommend from Kubota, Massey etc..

4. What advice would you give to someone who is using their equipment higher in the mountains? I would probably use a Zero turn for the lawn grass. Tractor is truly for utility.

Thanks everyone!
14 years ago I was in your situation, except in upper Piedmont of Georgia with pretty good relief, 90 acres, mostly mature forested with a field. Bought a Kubota L3940 and never any regrets. Learnings/experience: The tractor is very tough.Only bought two inexpensive implements, my others cost more, are built heavier, and worth the difference—especially rotary cutter (mine’s a Land Pride and after 14years never any regrets.) At purchase upgraded to heavy duty loader and bucket and had aftermarket teeth installed, can’t imagine not having them. I am meticulous about maintenance, which I believe accounts for no breakdowns or serious repairs after nearly 1000 hours. Started with an inexpensive estate mower for the field, later bought a used Bush Hog brand at auction, much heavier and stands up better to the rigors. Bought a Land Pride harrow at the beginning, but little used, because of effectiveness of the combination of chisel plow and rotary tiller. King sprayer (Ocala, FL), aluminum, lightweight, cost more, excellent quality, no regrets. Rake not used as much, but very handy for cleanup and food plots.
Advising others is difficult because of different needs and preferences. In summary, I love the Kubota with upgraded loader—bucket—teeth, expect to never buy another inexpensive (light duty) implement, AND even so, don’t push implements to their extremes, believe in regular maintenance. I have no other modifications for stability, but I am extremely careful especially in woods where gullys may not be entirely visible. I do some maintenance (lube, etc.) myself and have a certified mechanic come on-site each year for thorough check. Last thought, have good professional help in properly sizing implements to tractor.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #46  
Hey all,

The main driveway is about a 3/4 mile and is useable for now. The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition......
Good questions - Pics would help.

Overgrown old logging roads that we'd like to reclaim What does this mean? Has brush grown up that needs to be cut down? Is this a dirt moving task to correct erosion, recontour the road? Not sure if this is a simple fix or a major undertaking. Pics would help.

The other trails and meadows are overgrown and need a lot of work to get back to usable condition - Same questions and pics would again help.

What is your budget for a tractor?

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #47  
2038r is gonna be 25k to 32k depending on what u get. To me that's a waste of money.
For the same 25k 32k you can get a used 5 or 6ton tracked skid steer that will have a cab, maybe even ac. A ss will be able to do all the things you want, and do them safer and more effectively; maybe help you build a house if that is part of the plan.

Could go on but with only 6 acres out of 105 that are tillable there doesn't seem like a lot of value in a compact tractor.

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #48  
I have a 40hp "large frame" New Holland and I like it's capability much more than the 34hp "medium frame" New Holland I had. I would consider:

Kubota L4060LE
Kubota L4060
Kubota MX6000
John Deere 4052R
Kioti NX4510HST

You can go up or down on hp from there, but I would check those modes out and see what you think.

This expands my reasoning.
CUT Frame Size 2.jpg

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #49  
When you finally pick the tractor you want, go one size bigger. Get all the attachments. Wide stance and ballast and wheel weights. Did I mention KEEP OFF THE SLOPES?

/ Prospective purchase for the mountains. #50  
Welcome to WNC.