PT 1430 slower now

/ PT 1430 slower now #1  

menchhofer

Silver Member
Since I returned from Tazewell I have noticed my 1430 has about 1/2 the speed forward as it has had in the past.
PT replaced the cable and took the tram apart for service for there were "creeping issues" with the hydroback install. Terry said I should notice more power from this repair but, after getting the unit home and playing around I have noticed this problem.

I called Terry and he said there is nothing wrong with the unit. It should function normally. I asked him for advice and he stated he had no suggestions as to why my forward speed would be much less.

I am disappointed not only with his response but also the results of the repairs. I had thought taking the machine back to the factory for service was my assurance of quality work. Now, I am unsure.

Snyone have any suggestons? thanks

/ PT 1430 slower now #2  
Nothing really useful. Just dumb comments like: "something ain't right", "Terry is good people", and "I can't see it from here".

Seriously, the only thing that come to mind is to check for anything that didn't get tightened - lock nuts on cables, clamp bolts, etc. Also look for anything that might be limiting the travel of the treadle, cables or valve. My 425 has a completely different setup, but I've had the experience of debris under foot preventing full movement of the treadle. It wasn't obvious - the machine just wouldn't go.

Good luck - if all else fails, take pix of everything and post them here. Maybe we'll see something...

Gravy

/ PT 1430 slower now #3  
menchhofer said:
Since I returned from Tazewell I have noticed my 1430 has about 1/2 the speed forward as it has had in the past.
PT replaced the cable and took the tram apart for service for there were "creeping issues" with the hydroback install. Terry said I should notice more power from this repair but, after getting the unit home and playing around I have noticed this problem.

I called Terry and he said there is nothing wrong with the unit. It should function normally. I asked him for advice and he stated he had no suggestions as to why my forward speed would be much less.

I am disappointed not only with his response but also the results of the repairs. I had thought taking the machine back to the factory for service was my assurance of quality work. Now, I am unsure.

Snyone have any suggestons? thanks

The main purpose of the hydro-back is to keep the tram pump in neutral. The treadle determines the amount of travel Try this. Unhook the linkage on your tram pump. Raise the machine off the ground. Start the engine. Activate the tram lever in one direction, and observe the wheel speed. Now operate the lever in the other direction, and observe the wheel speed. This should tell you if there is a restriction in the forward or reverse mode. If there is a significant difference, Terry should have caught it. Do you have adjusting bolts in the treadle. I believe they are designed to limit speed in a particular direction.

/ PT 1430 slower now #5  
woodlandfarms said:
Your filter is plugged up?

Carl, There is no hydraulic filter in the wheel motor circuit. If you are talking about the input filter to the tram pump, that filter only filters the make up oil lost from the wheel motor drains, and tram pump cooling. I suspect the treadle lever is unequal, and that is assuming that Terry had set the neutral on the tram pump. Sometimes those stop bolts on the treadle can come loose, and give some unbalance to the treadle. I think some might prefer to have less speed in reverse. There also might be some trash under the treadle causing one to think the treadle is fully depressed.

/ PT 1430 slower now
When I get a chance and do not have to work, I will take a closer look at the linkage as suggested. The treadle does push all the way down to the floor going forward. I am a bit cautious about changing the current settings as I assumed Tazewell has it correct...especially when Terry stated everything should work fine now...

/ PT 1430 slower now #7  
On the 1850 the main oil intake between the tank and the tram pump is filtered. When I got my PT it kinda slowed down going forward. Called Terry and he said remove and replace the filter. I did and all is good....

Don't know at thing about the 1430, just assumed it was the same...

/ PT 1430 slower now #8  
When my 1430 got a little sluggish, I found the two bolts connecting the forward reverse peddle to the tram mechanism were loose. They are real close to the center on either side.

/ PT 1430 slower now
Finally had time to examine PT and my slow speed problem

Nothing under treadle of course and all connections appear in order. Linkage looks fine also.

I did try another adjustment from the extra holes in the treadle cable connection but no different reaction. I remain stumped as to what the problem may be.

I am unsure as to whether to adjust the new cable with less forward travel to move tram level more toward front of unit as I would think this will also affect rear travel.

/ PT 1430 slower now #10  
menchhofer said:
Finally had time to examine PT and my slow speed problem

Nothing under treadle of course and all connections appear in order. Linkage looks fine also.

I did try another adjustment from the extra holes in the treadle cable connection but no different reaction. I remain stumped as to what the problem may be.

I am unsure as to whether to adjust the new cable with less forward travel to move tram level more toward front of unit as I would think this will also affect rear travel.

MENCHHOFER, Did you check out the tram pump as I suggested in post #3?