PT 180

/ PT 180 #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
I need a second machine to complement my BCS 770, and I'm interested in a PT180. Going through this forum its impressive how many hours you guys run on these machines.

I am looking to run the machine about 30 hours per year. I have an acre of grass, and many wooded acres.

I am looking to move gravel and brush, and even some 12 inch diameter trees, cut into reasonable pieces.

Before I call Tazwell. I have a few questions

I'm 6 ft 3 inch. How would a PT180 fit me? Some YouTube video show it being tight.

Is the lift capacity from the loader pins?

The forks make me nervous. There isnt a large catch. to prevent debris from hitting the operator. Thoughts?

I have a very soggy lot. Can I run duals on this unit.

The utility grapple isnt an option for this model. Is there a reason why

Thanks in advance.

/ PT 180 #2  
I do not own a PT180 but you can not put duals on it. These tractors do have a much softer impact as compared to a normal SCUT plus the articulating steering dramatically cuts down on damage.

I would add a metal frame to the forks that things can lean against. It would be even nicer to have the forks adjustable.

Ken

/ PT 180 #3  
You might be able to modify the wheels with hub extensions to accept another set of wheels in order to have duals. I do not know if the wheel motors could handle the stress from the increased leverage of the outer wheels. Attached is a picture of such a setup for an older 1850 that I bought.

DuallieSupport.jpg

/ PT 180 #4  
I need a second machine to complement my BCS 770, and I'm interested in a PT180. Going through this forum its impressive how many hours you guys run on these machines.

I am looking to run the machine about 30 hours per year. I have an acre of grass, and many wooded acres.

I am looking to move gravel and brush, and even some 12 inch diameter trees, cut into reasonable pieces.

Before I call Tazwell. I have a few questions

I'm 6 ft 3 inch. How would a PT180 fit me? Some YouTube video show it being tight.

Is the lift capacity from the loader pins?

The forks make me nervous. There isnt a large catch. to prevent debris from hitting the operator. Thoughts?

I have a very soggy lot. Can I run duals on this unit.

The utility grapple isnt an option for this model. Is there a reason why

Thanks in advance.
You can't use the grapple for the 180 as it doesn't have a hydraulic circuit for the attachment lock, the 422 and up do. So no circuit to open/close the grapple.

/ PT 180
If there is no third function frontage grapple, how do they run the mower?

/ PT 180 #6  
I have a 180, it was my first PT and love it. The mower or any powered attachment runs off the PTO circuit.
A grapple would run off a 3rd function to the 2 function loader control. As purchased it would have up/down and curl/uncurl. The other machines have a 3rd valve that normally is needed to hook and unhook the attachment (on the 180 it is done manually-by hand). The 3rd valve has quick disconnects and would be utilized for all attachments like a grapple or snow plow angle etc.

/ PT 180 #7  
I made my own fork attachment out of an old masons walk behind. It can lift until the rear end comes off the ground, which most likely happens when you turn the machine because it effectively gets shorter-causing the counterweight (engine) to get closer to the loade.

Attachments

• Resized_20190901_130020.jpeg
    Resized_20190901_130020.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 85
   / PT 180 #8  
I am 6'2" 210lbs and don't have a problem once I get on the 180. The worse part was getting my boots into the foot well without hitting the go-pedal (tram). The 180 has shallow foot wells which makes it a little easier. One thing I did that helped and made it more comfortable was making a suspension seat. I took springs from an old garden tractor and adapted to the PT. It raise the seat about 2". This also lets me open the engine hood without having to raise the seat.

/ PT 180 #9  
In my opinion all the PTs are light on their feet (at least from the 1430 down). My 180 never sinks in. I believe it is 1200lbs. That would be 300 lbs per tire (unloaded machine). Pretty much what is on a persons shoe as they walk.
You should be able to use the tires off a 425 if you were really worried about it, but you can't use duals.
The dual wheel issue may relate to this: If there is hand rail on each side, the average person can hold their body weight and lift their feet off the ground. But now move the hand rails out, away from the body and hardly anyone could lift their feet off the ground. That is what it would be like for the bearings in the wheel motor, the further you move out the tires.

/ PT 180 #10  
And as far as you worrying about the forks not having a guard. That is nothing compared to how bad the loader bucket is.
As you raise the loader arms from ground level to full height, the bucket angle tips back and will dump the load off the back toward the operator IF YOU DON'T MANUALLY UNCURL THE BUCKET AS YOU RAISE IT.
These machines are not toys and you will need to keep your attention when operating.