PT Alternate Parts Availability.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Per J_J suggestions I suggest we start a thread that will help us find parts from alternate suppliers. I suggest the following format:

PT Model PT Part Desc. PT Part # Alternate Supplier Site Alternate #

Just a suggestion. Let's refine this if someone thinks of something better.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #2  
I like it and am for it :)
After stuff has happened to me this would be a great place to start for parts.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability.
I like it and am for it :)
After stuff has happened to me this would be a great place to start for parts.

If we always query this thread then we can keep the parts in one place.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #4  
Would we start a thread for say a PT 425, then another thread for a PT 422 and so on and so forth? How would we keep bumping them to the top of the list?

Would we start a thread for say a PT 425, then another thread for a PT 422 and so on and so forth? How would we keep bumping them to the top of the list?

There is no real good way to organize this on TBN that I know of. I say leave all of the parts in one thread, regardless of machine. This way the thread will pop to the top more often. Not ideal, but workable. Others may have better ideas of course.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #6  
Just remember. PT, like any company, needs enough revenue to stay profitable and in business. If they don't make it on parts than they will have to jack up the price of their tractors or go out of business. I don't like either of those scenarios. And I don't want to go back to an ag type tractor.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #7  
Just remember. PT, like any company, needs enough revenue to stay profitable and in business. If they don't make it on parts than they will have to jack up the price of their tractors or go out of business. I don't like either of those scenarios. And I don't want to go back to an ag type tractor.

I agree. I know it is frustrating to pay what seems to be exorbitant prices and it is only being fiscally responsible to yourself to find the best bang for your buck. Some companies are in the business of selling their product and not in the business of servicing them. That is their business model, they know their customers get their repair and maintenance parts elsewhere and they accept that. Just be glad it isn't like this:

A company that we buy machines from has a habit of contracting out with their suppliers to make proprietary parts. That is, they request a run of, say, small motors, with a unique part number and enter an agreement with the supplier that states the supplier cannot sell that part to anyone without signing a licensing agreement from the original company. And if they get that licensing agreement signed, they have to buy a minimum of 50 of the parts.

If Power Trac would start doing that, we would be in deep doo-doo. As it currently is, you can find parts elsewhere if you look hard enough. Just don't call the factory and give them a piece of your mind that you did that, or they will lock it down tighter for future owners.

You all also have to look at it this way...
Power Trac buys parts off the shelf that you can buy off the shelf, too (if you know the manufacturer and part #). How much of a markup should they charge you to buy that part and re-sell it to you? What is fair? When I worked in wholesale, we would buy something for $10.00 and sell it to a retailer for $20.00. They would sell it to the customer for $40.00. There used to be a dividing line between wholesale and retail. That line is getting blurred more and more as manufacturers start selling retail in addition to wholesale. The manufacturers are competing directly with the retailers. What is the incentive to sell retail when your supplier will undercut you to your own customers? So, Power Trac attempts to protect their product by not telling their customers who their suppliers are. I understand that completely and have no problem with that. I doubt they would have a problem with a customer finding another place to buy parts, as long as they are not malicious about it.

So, just be careful what you wish for. It may come back to bite you in the butt. :dance1:

Moss, now I feel bad. I really doubt this will have a major impact on PT's sales.

I had a wheel motor repaired by a local place last year. It ended up costing me about $10 less than a new one from PT. Also PT would have gotten it to me quicker.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #9  
BobRip I wouldn't feel bad it is the way our market system works in this country. I have been in manufacturing for years and with a contract or no contract our customers expected to get the parts cheaper each year even as supplies went up. Especially in the automotive industry the longer you make a part customers feel you have found ways to make it cheaper and they want kickbacks on the overall costs. Our PT are nice little machines and I am sure there is a nice overall markup on them. I feel once my warranty is finally used up I will buy from someone who charges less for parts and services. If PT was worried about this they wouldn't have got rid of their dealer network. Sure I will still use them for specialty parts but if I can buy filters, hoses, tires, spark plugs cheaper somewhere else I will. That is why I like the idea of a thread for locations or dealers that carry parts that will fit my PT. The best part would be to be able to identify parts with a regular parts manufacturer # rather than a PT #. Some of this is already mentioned in the PT forum. So nothing really new it would just be better organized.

/ PT Alternate Parts Availability. #10  
I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad... just wanted to explain possibly why PT does the things they does. ;)