PT Manual

/ PT Manual #11  
I am using 15w50 Mobil 1 in my 2000 PT 422. My garage rarely get below 60 F, so starting is not a problem. The PT does have more wheel motor torque when hot than the original 5w30. I think the 5w50 Mobil 1 would be a good choice. I may switch to that if I can get it easily.
I watched for sales. I got the Mobil 1 5W50 at Walmart, on sale for a price about 20-30% more than Dino oil.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT Manual #12  
I've been using Mobil 1 for replacement in the hydraulic system since i bought the PT. I'll probably use the Kohler engine oil for the engine though, thanks to Marrt for the information about car vs small engine oil.

/ PT Manual #13  
BTW: I looked up some typical UTF specification, which seems to come in at about 10W30 for most versions, but with added heat and extreme pressure additives.
Rotella UTF
Castrol UTF
Valvoline UTF

I certainly see my Mobile 1 darkening with time and use, which now has me wondering how much oxidation is going on due to the temperatures in the PT.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT Manual #14  
I wish I had a PT1460 manual. Running 15w40 T4 rotella heavy duty deisel oil but have not been monitoring my hydraulic fluid temps. Can't find that darn magnetic temp guage I bought.
Anybody have temeprature readings for their 14xx series machines during the hottest days?
I have a suspicion that the hydraulic oil cooler is not quite able to handle the 90 plus degree days when the machine is moving alot and lifting constantly for a long time.
My machine lift/tilt got a little soft/weak when driving alot and moving dirt for backfilling on the hottest days recently.
Maybe high temperature additives would be beneficial per ponytug above?

Last edited:
   / PT Manual #15  
I use the cheapest 10-40 I can get my hands on. Usually a case of chevron at Costco. I burst hoses too often to risk leaving synthetic on the ground

/ PT Manual #16  
On my PT1430 when using a hyd flail mulcher, I have to let it rest after a few hours in hot weather. I notice it first in the lack of torque in the wheel motors. I haven't changed the extra large fittings for the PTO on my PT1460 to fit the mower yet. Looks like I won't get to try the flail when under warranty on the 1460.

/ PT Manual #17  
As far as oil, I have 20 gallons of AW hydraulic fluid ISO46 to use in something. It is designed for hydraulic excavators. It seems to me that everything a hyd excavator has and does is identical to the Power trac. I am tempted to use it.

/ PT Manual #18  
As far as oil, I have 20 gallons of AW hydraulic fluid ISO46 to use in something. It is designed for hydraulic excavators. It seems to me that everything a hyd excavator has and does is identical to the Power trac. I am tempted to use it.

Yup. It will be fine.