PT Stump Grinder feedback

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #1  

PowerTracManiac

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1460
I was trying to sell my PT1460 stump grinder but no one is interested. It's just sitting here and I now have some 12 to 16inch diameter pine stumps that I could use it on.
Anybody with experience with the PT stump grinder? The PO didn't take care of the blade and it looks like about 70 percent of the carbide insets are broken off the teeth. I assume with that many broken teeth, I will need to buy a new blade?
I was avoiding using this implement cause I thought it would be too rough on my machine. Am I being too cautious?
20210510_163440.jpg

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #2  
I had one on a old 422 and it did great. I reversed the blade and the hoses to throw the chips away and did some huge cherry and maple and oak stumps. yes you will need a new blade or see if they can fix that one.... Pine stumps are a cake job ....lol.... jim

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #3  
That hose needs replaced it's too small, should be the same size..... I use mine to make a ditch too, to bury electric lines... jim

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #4  
BTW. Stump grinders have bolt on teeth, that maybe a trencher or a super old stump grinder.... jim

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #7  
I can't really tell from the photo how many teeth are in trouble. If it is just a few chipped teeth, I would go ahead and use it for awhile. Pine stumps aren't going to put up that much of a fight.

You can buy replacement teeth and weld or braze them on, depending on whether you buy a full tooth or just the carbide. It isn't too hard.

I don't own a stump grinder, but for your photo the carbide inserts look almost like they are bolted on, in which case replacing them is a cakewalk.

@johara1: I am curious why you think the hoses are too small. This is a 1460.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback
Unfortunately, this is the older style blade with the teeth welded onto the circular portion of the blade. I wish it had the bolt on teeth as there are more teeth without the carbide than with it.

I think the hydraulic hoses are original.

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #9  
I ground about 12 stumps with my grinder. I think it works really well and I’m not so concerned about a beating up my machine. You just have to take off a little bit at a time and not get hog wild with trying to remove too much wood. I think about turning the blade around and reversing the hoses like people say because the cylinder rams get all gummed up from the sap in the wood. I imagine that’s hard on the rubber O-rings on the cylinder.

/ PT Stump Grinder feedback #10  
I reversed my heavily used one and did a bunch of hardwood stumps - worked real well and was not that hard on the machine.

Ken