PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #121  
I need to point out again that my new PT 425 (Dec 2010) with the EH72D had no starting problems even in an unheated garage at 15 degrees F. I reemenber reading a post on the PT Forum from Jack Robin a few yars ago. He is a Subaru/Robin rep. He said that the newer Robin engines were enhanced to fix the starting problems with the older PT 422/425 tractors. He said that there were bigger batteries, more powerfull starters, hotter plugs ...

I have had bad luck with two 25 HP CH730 in 2 Sears (Huskvarna) GT 5000 Garden Tractors. Both engines failed after three years. Upon inspection found had broken pieces of the cylynder walls ... An Internet search found others having the same problem. My next Sears tractors have B&S engines.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering
I have had bad luck with two 25 HP CH730 in 2 Sears (Huskvarna) GT 5000 Garden Tractors. Both engines failed after three years. Upon inspection found had broken pieces of the cylynder walls ... An Internet search found others having the same problem. My next Sears tractors have B&S engines.
This is good to know... maybe the reliability differences are all in my head. (?) Thanks for your input.

What do you guys think about the advantages/disadvantages between the fuel injected and the normal EH72? I think it is about $300 more for the FI version.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #123  
This is good to know... maybe the reliability differences are all in my head. (?) Thanks for your input.

What do you guys think about the advantages/disadvantages between the fuel injected and the normal EH72? I think it is about $300 more for the FI version.

If you've encountered either hard starting (either hot or cold) or vapor locking/sputtering when it is hot, fuel injection would address those problems...

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #124  
If you've encountered either hard starting (either hot or cold) or vapor locking/sputtering when it is hot, fuel injection would address those problems...
I think I'd have to agree with that. But then you have a computer to deal with, don't you? I hate computers. It is EFI, correct? That means electronic and that means dead electronics eventually. Has anyone heard anything negative about the electronics on these engines?

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #125  

The FI version is 27 HP right? If I had a choice when buying my PT-425 I would have paid $300 extra just for the +2 HP. I recommend doing a search for issues with the FI version...

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #126  
Well my only experience is with Kohler, but I have good luck with that engine. I have run EFI in mowers and loved the ease of starting. My local shop told me that ever since the EFI Kohler has come out he has only had one come back with EFI problem, while having to work on many carbs during that same time. Just food for thought.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #127  
The FI version is 27 HP right? If I had a choice when buying my PT-425 I would have paid $300 extra just for the +2 HP. I recommend doing a search for issues with the FI version...

The FI engine is rated at 28hp, but there's a catch: The 28 (actually 27 & a bit)hp is at 4000 rpm. At 3600, the graph shows just about 25hp.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #128  
The FI engine is rated at 28hp, but there's a catch: The 28 (actually 27 & a bit)hp is at 4000 rpm. At 3600, the graph shows just about 25hp.

Yeah but how is the 25 hp motor rated?

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #129  

Thanks Gravy, for pointing that out. There's always a catch isn't there.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering
I don't mind if it is 25hp since it's going into a PT422... Even though Terry said a 25hp motor would be fine in this machine, I'm worried if it gets up to 28 or so that its too much for the pumps, etc. I don't know if that is a genuine concern or not, but I didn't want to take the chance.

I'll probably order the EH72FI this week and put it in sometime in April.