PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #131  
I don't mind if it is 25hp since it's going into a PT422... Even though Terry said a 25hp motor would be fine in this machine, I'm worried if it gets up to 28 or so that its too much for the pumps, etc. I don't know if that is a genuine concern or not, but I didn't want to take the chance.

I'll probably order the EH72FI this week and put it in sometime in April.

Just set the max RPM to 3600.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #132  
I don't mind if it is 25hp since it's going into a PT422... Even though Terry said a 25hp motor would be fine in this machine, I'm worried if it gets up to 28 or so that its too much for the pumps, etc. I don't know if that is a genuine concern or not, but I didn't want to take the chance.

You can not over power a pump, It runs at the engine rpm and will pump up to the volume and pressure designed into the pump. The GPM's are related to engine rpm, but the pressure is based on the resistance to the hyd flow, whether it is a cyl or hyd motor.

You can under power a pump and it will stall the engine.

I have three pumps on my 1445, a small steering and lift pump, a med size pump for PTO, and the VSP pump for the hyd wheel motors. They were selected to utilize the available HP

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #133  

The relief valves help protect the pumps and the rest of the hydraulic system.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering
Well, I'm pulling the trigger and ordering the EH72 Fuel Injection. They now have a 1 7/16" shaft version (in addition to the 1") for a $100 up-charge, but it should mate with the coupling I have currently. It's approximately $400 more than the standard EH72.

Last edited:
   / PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #135  
Well, I'm pulling the trigger and ordering the EH72 Fuel Injection. They now have a 1 7/16" shaft version (in addition to the 1") for a $100 up-charge, but it should mate with the coupling I have currently. It's approximately $400 more than the standard EH72.

We must have details on the installation (pictures, drawings, parts list, and comments). Also a report on the performance. Thanks in advance. Sounds like you made the right choice. My Robin engine has about 900 hours on it, so I am not real far behind you.

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #136  
KMA,

You may have to hacksaw the crankshaft stub to length, and buy a new Lovejoy coupler half, but other than that it should be pretty straightforward. As far as I can tell, it's the same basic engine with EFI grafted onto it. I guess you will also have to add a return line to the fuel tank, and maybe splice a wire or two.

I'm betting that you will be delighted with the power and easier starting. If not, I bet you will let us know.

Thanks guys. Yeah I will do my best to document the process and post up results.

Gravy, regarding the lovejoy coupler... can I expect to reuse the existing one if it is the same shaft size? I ordered the 1 7/16" shaft vs the 1" shaft to keep it the same as the previous engine and so it would match up with the coupler.

Thanks again all. :)

/ PT422 Engine shaking / sputtering #138  
Thanks guys. Yeah I will do my best to document the process and post up results.

Gravy, regarding the lovejoy coupler... can I expect to reuse the existing one if it is the same shaft size? I ordered the 1 7/16" shaft vs the 1" shaft to keep it the same as the previous engine and so it would match up with the coupler.

Thanks again all. :)

You should be able to use it if the shafts are the same size.

You should be able to use it if the shafts are the same size.
Thanks. :thumbsup: I hope it matches up. There's only a few hundred hours on the machine so I'm hoping everything is still in decent shape and can be reused.

I ordered my engine from Equipatron.com since one of the owners (Pete) has been quick to answer my questions over the last several months. He told me I can expect it to arrive sometime next week, but I don't think I'll now for sure until the freight company calls to arrange the drop off. Hopefully the weather breaks here soon and gets warmer. It was 8 degrees when I woke up this morning... :confused2: Ah... springtime in upstate NY!

Update:

I received my EH72FI in three business days, and it even included lift gate service which surprised me. I'm trying to take pictures to document the swap and I have the old motor pulled. It turns out the EH65 had a 1 1/8" shaft (and not the 1 7/16" I was led to believe). So I need to order a new coupling. I wish I figured that out earlier since I could have ordered the new engine with a 1" shaft and saved $100. Oh well...

I'm hoping someone here might know more about these couplings than I do... I need a coupling with 1 7/16" bore and 3/8" keyway. The current coupling is 2.5" in diameter and and about 2" long. I think the Lovejoy "L" series would work but I'm having trouble tracking down the complete specification and dimensions for the various models. Here's a link to the pdf file I've been looking at (page JW11). There appears to be 5 models with 1 7/16" bore shown about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...780092&usg=AFQjCNH1Pba9WmHBiXFyGUwd6EQXJHuB3A

L110 11746
L150 12114
L190 12295
L225 12431
L276 12591

What do you guys think? Does anyone know of a better resource? Thanks again for everyone's help so far.