PTFE vs. TFE

/ PTFE vs. TFE #1  

teg

Tractor
s
I'm thinking I'm going to install hydraulics with TFE... all it says is "Do not use on halogens..." I'm using Harvey's TFE paste which is good for 10,000 psi on use for water, steam, natural & LP gas, *OILS*, fuels & dilute acids. Do I have to use PTFE???

And just in case, What will happen if I use it???

/ PTFE vs. TFE #3  
TFE is PTFE - Poly tetra fluoro ethylene - aka teflon

Its akin to Polyethylene plastic, poly just means many molecules of ethylene chained.

You couldn't use your sealant with some refrigerants or the oil containing part of said refrigeration system.

/ PTFE vs. TFE
Cool thanks...

I Google Halogens... comprising fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). So I'll continue to assume this paste will work since Oil was listed...

Photo of the pipe thread compound and the spool location. I was planning to use fittings to plumb... :mur: I will be get a couple of extra hoses in the morning :ashamed::confused2::confused2:

/ PTFE vs. TFE #5  
Cool thanks...

I Google Halogens... comprising fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). So I'll continue to assume this paste will work since Oil was listed...

Photo of the pipe thread compound and the spool location. I was planning to use fittings to plumb... :mur: I will be get a couple of extra hoses in the morning :ashamed::confused2::confused2:

Uh.... you do know that you plumb hydraulic fittings DRY, right? No goop, no tape. Just clean, dry fittings torqued to spec.

Unless you WANT to bugger up the entire system when that stuff gets into it.

/ PTFE vs. TFE #6  
The paste is good.

Slowzuki is right, PTFE and TFE are the same stuff, and you have no halogens in your hydraulic system.

If you have pipe threads in your system you need pipe thread sealant on only those fittings. Other types of fitting do not require sealant.

/ PTFE vs. TFE
Uh.... you do know that you plumb hydraulic fittings DRY, right? No goop, no tape. Just clean, dry fittings torqued to spec.

Are you saying that NPT is done dry? or are you talking about the other types??? I didn't want ANY leaks so I used the paste on the NPT connections.

Can you explain a little more about "...bugger up the entire system..." What exactly would getting some of this paste mixed up in say the 5-6 gallons that my system uses. I would like to know if I need to change the hydraulic oil since I'm sure a little bit might have gotten in there.

/ PTFE vs. TFE #8  
Are you saying that NPT is done dry? or are you talking about the other types??? I didn't want ANY leaks so I used the paste on the NPT connections.

Can you explain a little more about "...bugger up the entire system..." What exactly would getting some of this paste mixed up in say the 5-6 gallons that my system uses. I would like to know if I need to change the hydraulic oil since I'm sure a little bit might have gotten in there.

You have nothing to worry about:thumbsup:

/ PTFE vs. TFE #9  

Like others...I would like you to explain this a little better please.:confused2:

/ PTFE vs. TFE #10  

NPT (National Pipe Thread) requires thread sealant.

However, most hydraulic fittings are actually NPTF (National Pipe Tapered Fuel), also called Dryseal American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread, defined by ANSI B1.20.3.

NPTF is designed to provide a more leak-free seal without the use of teflon tape or other sealant compound. NPTF threads are the same basic shape but with crest and root heights adjusted for an interference fit, eliminating the spiral leakage path.

source: National pipe thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NPTF fittings will mate with same-size NPT fittings, and can be used in all applications calling for NPT.

IMPORTANT: Because the threads are deformed when fittings are assembled, an NPTF connection may not seal as intended (without sealant) after it has been disassembled and assembled again. In this instance, the use of tape or paste should create an effective seal.

Another useful description of NPT and NPTF threads can be found here