3-Point Hitch Pto disconnect

/ Pto disconnect #1  

hturner12

Gold Member
Tractor
LS Xg 3025
Brand new tractor owner. Newbie question how do I disconnect the pto?

/ Pto disconnect #2  
If you mean the shaft itself, there is either a collar that you pull towards the implement while you pull the shaft off the PTO a stub. Or a button on the collar that releases the connector and again, you pull the shaft off the PTO stub.

/ Pto disconnect
Thank you
It got the collar, it on the rotary cutter

/ Pto disconnect #4  
Note that not all collars will pull back to release. The one on my Bushhog brand mower has to push forward while you pull back on the PTO shaft, a not so easy task to do.
So if you cant easily remove the shaft by pulling back on the collar, try pushing it forward.

/ Pto disconnect #5  
Collar type are a pain. My brush hog has one, I hate it. Even lubed up its awkward to operate. All my dad's stuff (what I've used for the past 30+ years) has a pin you push in while pulling it off the PTO shaft.

/ Pto disconnect #6  
Mine has a pin you push in while pulling back on the collar. It can be a PITA if the PTO shaft is "bound up" a little. Mine is on my chipper and every so often I will open up the chipper inspection cover - rotate the chipper wheel forward/back to free up the PTO shaft. Most times it will slip right off.

I've found that the reason the PTO shaft binds - there are still small limbs/twigs in the cutting chamber that are holding the chipper wheel.