PTO Driveline Install

/ PTO Driveline Install #1  

6sunset6

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's
Anybody ever see a tool to pull back the collar on a driveline while pushing the whole thing onto the spine shaft. I find it harder to do as I get older. Particularly from one side with one hand pulling and one hand pushing. Some implements I can step inside and then it is easier but some , like a rototiller are to short. If I make something and it works I will post it.

/ PTO Driveline Install #2  
The pto shaft on my tiller is long enough that I have been backing the tractor close enough to connect the pto but about 1 to 1.5 feet from the hitch. I can then easily connect pto and then back up to the three point hitch. You might try that.

/ PTO Driveline Install #4  
You can get the PTO shaft on the tractor's splines first, then pull the collar to slide it the rest of the way.

A bungy cord around the shaft and top link will hold the shaft up so you can concentrate on getting it on the tractor's PTO stub.

There are three kinds of PTO shaft lock/release mechanisms. The kind you pull back, the kind you rotate, and the ones with a spring loaded button that you push down. I think the button kind are easiest to operate though when removing you have to find the button. Some folks here have disassembled theirs to replace the spring with a lighter one.

/ PTO Driveline Install #5  
Anybody ever see a tool to pull back the collar on a driveline while pushing the whole thing onto the spine shaft. I find it harder to do as I get older. Particularly from one side with one hand pulling and one hand pushing. Some implements I can step inside and then it is easier but some , like a rototiller are to short. If I make something and it works I will post it.
I hope you come up with something as have a problem getting the snow blower PTO connected and could use a 3rd arm. The dealer says it is because the tractor and blower are new, he says it will get easier the more you use it and keep it greased. I found to use bungie cords to keep the PTO shaft level with the tractor shaft it helps when pushing forward.

/ PTO Driveline Install #6  
Put the PTO in forward position so that you can turn it by hand. Put PTO onto the shaft and rotate it until lined up. It will go on about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. THEN pull your collar back and push the PTO over the detent and tug it back to make sure it catches.

I complained to my sale person. He provided me with a push button end on the bush hog. Had one on the Mac and now have one on the WM WC46 as well.

/ PTO Driveline Install #7  
Listen to the advice above. I found these 2 things where why I was having trouble.
1) Trying to pull back the collar before getting it started on the shaft. Get it started then worry about the collar
2) Trying to support the weight of the shaft in an awkward position while trying to get it started. I found that a bungee around the shaft to support it solved this.