PTO Generators any advice?

/ PTO Generators any advice? #1  

jdcook00

Tractor
1983 JD 212, JD 2210
I'm still waiting on the arrival of the JD 2210 I have ordered and due to recent weather conditions here in eastern NC, I was considering a pto generator. I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Is there a small enough generator out there for the pto power a 2210 has? I am currently using a Yamaha 4600 as the power has been off since yesterday's hurricane. I'm not trying to power up the whole house, 7000-10000w would be sufficient. I'm just trying to cut down on the number of engines to upkeep and to get running (two hours to r&r and clean carb. on generator) /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Thanks for any advice. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ PTO Generators any advice? #2  
I've got an 8kW Generac that won't run everything, but will run anything we use electricity for. I'm converting it to dual fuel, propane in addition to gasoline. When a big ice storm hits getting gas can be a problem. I wish I had a 10kW instead, but you get what's available when you need it. One good argument for a self powered generator is that you don't tie up your tractor when you are making electricity. The question is does your tractor have a good enough governor to take care of the constantly changing demand of a generator?

/ PTO Generators any advice?
Slamfire, you have a good point about tying up the tractor for making power instead of doing something useful like moving trees that fell next to house. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I don't know about the govener yet as I don't have the tractor yet.

/ PTO Generators any advice? #5  
I ordered a 15KW PTO gen from http://home.ntelos.net/~gener8s/index.html
Just got it a month ago and have run various tests. It works fine. The tractor (Kubota L4310, 40HP) runs it no problem. The governor can handle from no load to full load with a variation of only 2 Hz. The gen has an electronic voltage reg so the voltage always stays at 240.
I looked at alot of gens before I bought and 1 thing I think you really need is a frequency meter. I know of no other way to set the engine RPMs. You can buy a separate meter but they run from $80-$100.
I did not want a engine/gen unit because of the additional engine maintenance. And I already store diesel for the tractor.
As far as the issue of using the tractor for cleanup outside - I figure then PTO gen would only be used for a hour at a time with a couple of hours in between.
Rich

/ PTO Generators any advice? #6  
Jd makes a PTO generator. You will find it under the X series. It will work perfectly on a 2210 . Cost is $16-1800. If I did not have a generator already I would not want anything but a pto driven genset. The reason is people. After 9-11 and the recent black outs people flipped out on buying gas. Traffic was a mess and gas lines were miles long. Only 1 or 2 cars at the diesel pumps. I would get the JD its perfect for home needs. Its not like you cant power up the home, then drop the generator, use the tractor for a few hours and the re hook up the generator. No biggie. Dave

/ PTO Generators any advice? #7  
Another bonus might be that it would be easy to take to a neighbors place to give them a little juice for the refrigerator etc. Rat...

/ PTO Generators any advice? #8  
Rich
What kind of price are we talking about on a 15 KW PTO generator
Bartman

/ PTO Generators any advice? #9  
The 15KW w/3pt mount, 10ft cord, meters, and PTO shaft was $1600 + $75 shipping to NJ. However when I bought they had a demo unit for somewhat less. The 20KW w/trailer was $2200.

Rich

/ PTO Generators any advice? #10  
You guys disappoint me.....8 posts and nobody suggested a PTO generator and a SECOND tractor, good excuse to get another..LOL