PTO Generators any advice?

/ PTO Generators any advice? #21  
Yeah, Jerry. My wife says I procrastinate too much. I do think she's right, in a way. (I just don't like to jump into things too quick) I checked into it last year but finally made up my mind.

On the HP, it's 166

/ PTO Generators any advice? #22  
Billy,
Mine is a 100kw with 166 hp Perkins. I really like it. Your wife sounds like mine, she says that to me all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ PTO Generators any advice? #23  
I'm in NJ. Can I run an extension cord over to your genset? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich

/ PTO Generators any advice? #24  
Does nobody use their engine driven welder for a generator? It is a popular way to do it here.
Ken

/ PTO Generators any advice? #25  
Billy.

That sounds like a great system but 17 grand, ouch. Actually I do know how those costs can add up. I put in a propane/NG Onan 85KW generator that I got used out of a hospital and a GE 400amp auto transfer switch new off ebay. The generator was $3500, the transfer switch was $2200 and installation was $3400 for a total of $9100. I got lucky to find like new equipment for reasonable prices but still it hurts.

The other day we had our first real power outage. It lasted for 5 hours and happened in the middle of the night with no warning. It was great. Our alarm went off I woke up heard the generator start and it transferred power. I could have went back to sleep but of course I went down and checked on the poultry barns and then went over to my neighbors place and started helping him open up his barns. He just bought a used Onan 200KW diesel generator in excellent condition but he hasn’t hooked it up yet. After the other night it is now a higher priority.

We had one farmer in Washington that had a pto generator at his poultry farm. His power went out for a week. He put a lot of hours on that tractor at high RPM. That’s why I don’t think pto system are good for applications like ours that are life and death critical. I can see were they might be handy for intermittent non critical applications.

/ PTO Generators any advice? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That’s why I don’t think pto system are good for applications like ours that are life and death critical. I can see were they might be handy for intermittent non critical applications.
)</font>
Tell that to large dairies.
Lots of them around here run pto generators.
We use the bigger tractors and hook it too the 1000 rpm pto, then run tractor around 1500-1800 rpm and it gives the 540 rpm.
We do this for grain augers too.
This saves fuel and doesn't make as much noise.
168 hours for a week isn't much on a 10,000 hour tractor.

/ PTO Generators any advice? #27  
Hey Billy

Don't forget to get a battery maintainer. I use one called the Batteryminder. It’s cheap insurance that your battery will always be up to task of starting that engine.

Eric

/ PTO Generators any advice? #28  
Tim,

<font color="blue"> Tell that to large dairies. </font>

I’d rather not. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It sounds like they have got the right equipment and knowledge to get the job done as efficiently as possible. A large pto generator will be quite a bit less expensive than a comparable stand alone system. Using the 1000 rpm pto is a great tip. But if your chickens are going to die if power is not restored within 15 minutes or grandma is depending on her O2 generator then a standalone automatic transfer switched generator system would be my first choice.

Eric

/ PTO Generators any advice? #29  
Eric, this system comes with a battery maintainer. I have no clue to what brand it is, yet. Just got through pouring the slab. Selling birds next Friday. Then we're off to Branson MO for a few days.

/ PTO Generators any advice? #30  
Slowzuki . . . We had an extended power failure and I was snowed in for a few days, all of which occured BEFORE I got my own generator. We we finally got the road open all the generators were sold or rented and I found a welding supplier with several engine powered generators. My neighbors and I all rented them and they got us through with power to spare. However, being gas driven, we had to keep filling the tanks and the went through 3+ tanks a day (the temperatures dropped to -20 for 3 straight days, stayed below zero for something like 21 straight days) and we were completely out of power for 7.5 days.

When things finally settled down, I bought a generator that runs on 3 different fuels, and have it plumbed in to the Natural Gas line. It has come in handy several times.

I looked at auto switches and more expensive units, but figured that they doubled the price and only made things more convenient, didn't actually give me any more safety or any more power.

Mine has electric and recoil start and a pressure regulator for Propand and N.G. plus a 5 gallon gas tank. I have to turn in on and I have to flip a switch in the basement next to my fuse box to switch from the power company to the generator.

<font color="red"> When you install a generator set up MAKE SURE you install a power line cut off or cutover switch. It prevents you from sending your power out to the power company lines. The important thing about that is that when the linemen are working down the road to fix your power, your generator is sending them power with enough amps to kill or injure them. </font>