PTO Generators: Winco

/ PTO Generators: Winco #51  
Ahhh,

I used a pump similar to the Number 2 model when I was a teenager. The boss had me fill up the trucks and tractor all the time. Sure took ALOT of time but I was paid by the hour, cheap, and had/have a weak mind but I built big muscles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sooo, if you have cheap labor pump #2 works.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ PTO Generators: Winco #52  
Just thought I'd post this, since some people might be interested.

Certainly more expensive than a PTO gen, but probably cheaper than another tractor.

http://www.hardydiesel.com/gen/23kw.html
(it's selling for ~$4800ish when I looked)

I also saw a 8KW for about half that.

I already have a PTO gen, so I'm just working on getting the transfer switch stuff squared. Neighbor is doing likewise, and we are going halvsies on a 320 gal tank.

/ PTO Generators: Winco #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The funny thing is that now we are thinking of using a DR mower to run the generator. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They have a 6000/5500 watt generator for their mowers. We need one of their mowers anyway, soooo.... The generator is 600-700 dollars which is the least expensive option we have seen even though 5500 watts seems to be the minimum we need to power the hot water heater...)</font>

It's about time somebody came up with an idea like that. DR (Country Home Products) is just down the road from us. I had no idea they had the generator option.

How often do you need to run your water heater during a power outage? can you get by with just switching other things off while you heat up a tankfull?

John Mc

/ PTO Generators: Winco #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about a neon bulb on a push-to-test switch? )</font>

I know I could do it, and do it safely. What I'm wondering is if it's legal to do it without some sort of inspection. Wasn't sure if the regs required something, especially since the power company isn't too nuts about people poking around with the grid side of their main breaker.

John Mc

/ PTO Generators: Winco #55  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the power company isn't too nuts about people poking around with the grid side of their main breaker.
)</font>

At least in our area, everything past the meter can belongs to the home owner. I'e. it the meter or the overhead( or buried) wireing goes bad.. it is thier fix. If the wire from the meter can to your breaker goes bad.. the homeowner calls an electrician.. etc.

Kinda like the phone company.. everything past the utility side of the Customer access box is on your dime.. etc. Least that's the way i understand it.

Soundguy

/ PTO Generators: Winco #56  
That is also the way it is here in Ontario.

However, although you pay, you need a permit and a hydro inspection. Or put it this way, you are supposed to.

Richard

/ PTO Generators: Winco #57  
John,

I not sure how often we would have to power the water heater. We just moved into the house in January and have not had an outage. Thankfully. The water heater takes 5500 watts. BUT, that is with two elements. Even with HEAVY water usage I have never seen both elements on. Sooo, I'm guessing that really it only needs 2750 watts if we don't use too much water or let it cool down.

We would just have to turn off everything if the water heater needed all 5500 watts.

I am still researching this stuff but I think DR is going to get the dollars from us. I found a couple of websites that hook generators up to your truck to provide power. On one, the generator was connected via a belt to the engine. Don't like that idea. The other one was hooked up to your tranny PTO if you have one which I do. BUT, hooking up a 12KW generator to a 275 HP engine when 24 HP will do does not seem money wise to me. Don't have a clue what the thing costs either.

So, its looking like DR Time.

Later,
Dan

/ PTO Generators: Winco #58  
Whether it's how the laws are written or just how the laws are enforced, this is how it goes around here...

You can do anything to your side of the meter as long as the power company doesn't have to shut off power. If you schedule the power company to cut your power, you have to have a permit and inspection to turn it back on.

The side effect of this is that some homeowners take some risks with a live power source that they probably shouldn't take.

/ PTO Generators: Winco #59  
Dan,
Take a close look at your water heater. While the nameplate rating may say 5500 watts, you probably have 2 5500 watt elements. The thermostat does not let both elements run at the same time. One heats for a while then the other one kicks in. At least that is my experience with an electric water heater.

Your mileage may differ since I use gas now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PTO Generators: Winco #60  
I've also seen water heaters where each element has its own thermostat. Usually, one is set lower than the other (I can remember whether upper or lower was set to the higher number... I'm thinking the upper was generally left at 120 deg F, and you set the lower higher if you wanted hottter water ???) If you have two separate thermostats, you could set one very low during a power outage to reduce the chances of it coming on (or disconnect that element entirely to prevent it coming on). This would slow down your recovery time once you used a tank of hot water, however.