Pto on IH 454 locked up.

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up.
I added about a gallon of hydro trans fluid to the rear of the tractor above the pto. I think it made the down movement on the hitch more responsive, but no other changes. I know it had been leaking since I got it. After crawling under it, I now see that some of the oil is coming either from the PTO clutch cover or above it. It looked like it was coming from a drain bolt, but that's just where it dropped from after running down from somewhere above.

Today, I got around to removing the cap from the lower smallish tube on the MCV. This is the picture of the fitting after I removed the cap. pto check cap removed.jpg

I started the engine and engaged the pto forward a couple inches to the first "stop". It doesn't stay there unless I hold it, which could be normal as far as I know. I presume its to slowly engage a pto driven implement. At that point the hydraulic fluid flowed into my catch bucket. As I moved it full forward and locked it into the detent, the fluid visibly created a swirling in the bucket and added perhaps a gallon of fluid in less than 30 seconds, it seemed. I did notice that the fluid was slightly milky, compared to the fluid that was dripping from another fitting due to a loose bolt. My immediate thought was why would the fluid be lighter in color. I know water will make oils milky, but shouldn't it all be circulated throughout the transmission to be homogeneous? Could it be it was slightly foamed due to coming out at pressure into my bucket?

I have the cap to take to a hydraulic shop and have them make a test hose to go on my pressure gauge. I presume if I get 240 psi or so, I will be taking off the right cover plate on the right side under the seat / fender and me digging into this. that makes me feel just a bit unnerved, but this is a project for me.

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up. #43  
Foaming due to being sprayed into the bucket is possible.
That looks like a lot like a JIC fitting to me.

Aaron Z

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up. #44  
Now that you have oilflow I do beliefe that the pressure wil be ok.
Drain the oil and remove the PTO clutchpack !

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up. #45  
Remember that the rollpin can only come out to one side as I believe it was installed wrong !

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up. #46  
The pack and the rear pto shaft must be timed correct !
As I did said it is a 2 man job....one to hold the pack inplace and one to insert the rearshaft from the rear.....if the timing is out .....try again till it is correct before installing that rollpin !

What makes you think the rollpin was installed wrong and not just worn out clutch plates? Is it because it doesn't grab at all?

Before I go taking something apart, that I can't get back together, you mentioned reading material, DLT. I've got the IH 203, but I'd like to get something a little more comprehensive for helping me overhaul. I haven't seen any good youtube videos on the PTO removal for my tractor, specifically. I want to be cautious about removing something where a surprise part just pops off and I have no idea where it came from or how it goes back together. Is there a specific manual title you would recommend for helping me with this and other maintenance with the IH 454?

when the valve is opened for the pto, releasing fluid to the pto, how does that work with the clutch? is there another hydraulic pump, or just the main pump before the MCV valve? Please tell me what to read and I'll read it.

Thank youy.

doh! It gets punched out the back side and then you reach around and grab it behind the gear, right? How can I tell if its in correctly once I pull it?

/ Pto on IH 454 locked up. #50  
Remowe pack and shaft and try and line-up the holes outside and if correct that hole will be round and not ovel.