PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ?

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ? #41  
We had a portable generator rigged up to feed back through a dedicated line from the back of the carriage house. Twas a pain to have to keep fuel and to fuel it up (gasoline). Had to go out in the weather to fire it up, etc.

Finally put in a 12.5kw Isuzu diesel generator from the folks in Maine about 3 now going on 4 years ago. A friend is an electrician and handy man. He and a neighbor (with a bigger JD tractor than mine) set it in place. Then changed out one of the 200 amp panels with a Gentron one that allows up to 6 circuits on electronically sensored lines with the generator switch built in. During one power outage, the wife actually ran the clothes dryer (on one of those 6 circuits). The upstairs heat pump and the basement ductless ones run on the generator, just not the 4 ton beast.

Thing sips fuel. First year was about 2.5 gallons, next year was about 5 gallons (with one, maybe two power failures). This year, haven't topped it off yet, but it'll probably be only about 2.5 gallons again. Uses 0.2 gph of diesel. I refuel my tractor from its 60 gallon tank and just go to the gas station about once/year and buy another 20 or 30 gallons to refill.

Haven't even gotten to the 50 hour oil change yet. Oil is still almost crystal clear.

Ralph

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ? #42  
The generator is hardly used but is 14 years old and weighs around 250 lbs. I'm not getting any younger. If I need it I have to roll it out,plug it in and you know the drill.

I can leave a PTO generator on the back of a tractor for the winter and call it good. In the summer I wouldn't mind hooking it up. I usually have a couple hundred gallons of diesel so it will run for a while. Considering the odds of a power outage, the PTO thing seems easier. It also would allow me to run the whole house and not worry about the a/c kicking it or whatever.

My old generator is 10k with 12k surge and no problems.

That makes sense 6..... tractor-coupled sure does make a gen easy to move.

The gold-standard for a custom portable gen shed is something like what 4Shorts did.... but if you were to pay somebody for that, an auto standby generac probably would be in the same ballpark.

Don't forget to post some pics of the new PTO gen when you get it !

Rgds, D.

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ?
That makes sense 6..... tractor-coupled sure does make a gen easy to move.

The gold-standard for a custom portable gen shed is something like what 4Shorts did.... but if you were to pay somebody for that, an auto standby generac probably would be in the same ballpark.

Don't forget to post some pics of the new PTO gen when you get it !

Rgds, D.

Good point there and something I hadn't thought about. These PTO generators probably can't get wet so I need some sort of a shed or cover over it to keep it dry? I could do that.

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ? #44  
Good point there and something I hadn't thought about. These PTO generators probably can't get wet so I need some sort of a shed or cover over it to keep it dry? I could do that.

Hmmm...

So far I've been thinking that PTO generators (at least the better ones) would be designed for foul weather use, but I haven't verified current production models. Something to check on the ones you are shopping for, and/or plan for a dedicated enclosure.

The 4Shorts reference was to a custom enclosure he built for a 10kw Honda portable generator - a great build, but not what you'd need for a PTO unit.

Rgds, D.

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ? #45  
The WinPower generators don't have any disclaimers (just checked the manual) saying they can't be run in the rain. I wouldn't have any reservations about doing so.

/ PTO or portable generator for whole house generator backup ? #46  
PTO generators and where are they made
This list is from what I have researched as of 2015, things could change, maybe already have.​
  1. BaumaLight
    These generators are Italian heads made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power.​
  2. Harbor Freight
    Chinese made, unknown power quality​
  3. IMD
    These generators are Italian heads made by Sincro. They have clean power.​
  4. Northstar
    These generators are Italian heads, unknown make. They have clean power.​
  5. Voltmaster
    These generators are Italian heads, unknown make. Unknown power quality.​
  6. Winco
    10Kw and 15Kw, these generators are Italian heads made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power. Special note, these want 515 RPM at the PTO and not the standard 540 RPM. Your tractor might not make as much HP at the lower RPM which may or may not be an issue depending on tractor/generator/power draw sizing.
    25Kw are made by Winco in the US, power quality unknown. (Winco talks about clean power on the smaller generators and doesn't on the 25Kw so I don't think it meets the specs, but I would write the factory if you are concerned.)​
  7. Most others
    If it isn't on the above list it is most likely made in China.​
I know this might dredging up an old post but I thought I would update your list of generators.

PTO generators and where are they made

This list is updated from 2023,.

1. BaumaLight
These generators are Italian heads made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power.

2. Harbor Freight
Chinese, made by Jinma. I tested one and it was <6% (actually 5.2%). The one I tested (2023) was a 515 RPM generator so see #6 below.

3. IMD
These generators are Italian heads made by Soga Energy Team (Sincro is a brand of alternators and Agro Watt is their brand of generators). They have clean power.

4. Northstar
These generators are Italian heads made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power.

5. Voltmaster
These generators are Italian head made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power.

6. Winco
10Kw and 15Kw, these generators are Italian heads made by Mecc Alte. They have clean power.

Special note, these want 515 RPM at the PTO and not the standard 540 RPM. Your tractor might not make as much HP at the lower RPM which may or may not be an issue depending on tractor/generator/power draw sizing. 25Kw are made by Winco in the US, power quality unknown.