PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #31  
I'm glad you realised that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's an example to go with your night thinking. Last year, I had a BX23. I blew snow with it last winter with my Pronovost 64" (the same one I'll put on my B3030)... it was ok. A BX23 has a HST so I did the job slower when snow was 18" high. I'll do the same thing with my B3030... but faster. There's not a big difference between the PTO HP of a BX23 (16.7hp) and a B3030 (23hp). So I'll go faster, but even then... I have a 200' driveway (half of it is 25' wide) and last winter the time required to blow it with my BX23 was between 5 and 10 minutes. I have to admit that I like to blow snow and I took my time for two reasons: I like that (5 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and the size of the blower.

If you want to break a snowblowing world record then go with something bigger with more HP. 1100' will take you more than 5 minutes though. I don't know... maybe around 40 minutes (that's a guess). My only experience is my driway and some others in my neighbourhood.

At that point, if you don't plan to tow the tractor or mow with it... you could go for a L3130 if you want a bigger toy, otherwise a B7800 will do a good job for less money.

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #32  
Ray
Just saw your post, thought I'd throw in my .02
I have a B7800 with a rear mounted Meteor blower (63")
I clear a 450' gravel drive. 2' deep is no problem, moving fast is no problem (15 minutes for the whole thing including icy plow mound at the road. I have filled AG tires (R1's). Traction has not been a problem while snowblowing.
I have had problems pulling and moving stumps, but they still got pulled and moved /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck, whatever you choose.
Lou

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130
It sounds like the B7800/B2910/B3030 is a real snow removing machine! So far everyone who has one seems to like it. Since the blower takes an 18" high cut do you guys think if the snow was 24-30" deep it'd blow 18" out and be able to make it through the remaining 6-12" that went over the blower? Then clean up the remaining 6-12" in a second pass. I realize I'd have to go slow though so deep a snow but do you think it'd trudge through it? No real heavy/wet snow ... I'm talking pretty fluffy stuff. If you think it could then I'm sold.

The L3130 blower has the advantage of taking a 24" deep cut so I know it could handle 30" snowfall/drifts but of course a L3130 would cost quite a bit more $$$.

I really appreciate all your help!!! I'm going to make a quick trip up there to see if last winters snow melted yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I won't be connected for the next week but I'll read through your comments as soon as I get back.

Take care and thanks to all,
Ray

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #34  
I have a B7800 and I can tell you it would go through 12" of snow, especially fluffy stuff, at any speed without batting an eye. I am still amazed at what they will go through. I use a back blade and drive forward over the snow as I'm plowing. No backing for me. Did up to 8" that way. I think it would do more. I realize you couldn't do that since you need to blow the snow a long distance since it doesn't melt. Just to let you know what it will go through. I live in central Ohio were the snow melts after a week.

Just got back from our quick trip to the U.P. yesterday. It sure is nice up there! Yes, last winters snow is all melted and no snow is forcasted for at least another week /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I want to thank all who offered their thoughts and recommendations for snow removal. I don't plan on making a purchase until next summer but I wanted to do a little research now rather than during the madness that will occur while selling the house and the big move.

On the long drive up to Munising I was telling the wife about the B7800 and L3130. The + and - of each etc. Without batting an eye she says get the 3130. She loves the property and is looking forward to moving but is very concerned about our long driveway in the snow country. Just about everyone up there has a driveway that is about 20 feet long. Ours is going to be 1100'. Hmmm. Maybe those locals know what their doing, eh?

So given the extra size, weight and wife's opinion I think I'll go with the 3130. As tempting as the B7800 is there's little doubt the bigger tires and 24" tall snowblower would be better. I know it'll have to be more or less confined to the driveway because of the nature of our property but that's ok. It'll keep me from doing something stupid and rolling a tractor down our hill.

Now if Kubota decides to offer a mid-pto on a L3400 then I'd have to do a little more head scratching. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once again, thanks to all who responded. I promise to post some pics when I pull the trigger. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, one last question ... will a 3130 with ag tires fit through an 8' garage door with the folding ROPS up? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #36  
No, it won't! I have that very problem! Thankfully, I have relatively level land. Therefore, when working on all my flat ground property the ROPS is folded. So that I can get in and out of the garage! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #37  
I am going to have almost 2000' of driveway, and the only way to handle that is a plow-truck. I love tractors, and would love the seat time, but, I gotta get it done, too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yikes! It really doesn't fit through an 8' garage door /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif??? How tall is it?

Oh no ... just when I thought I was all set with a 3130 now I need to upgrade to a plow truck? What is a plow truck? Do you mean a pickup with a blade or something bigger?

The problem I see with plowing the snow is I'd rapidly run out of places to put it and the snowbanks would get hugh. My driveway will be running through a woods so unless I do a lot of clearing I don't have a lot of room to "store" the snow and given the amount of snow Munising gets I'd think a truck with blade would quickly be overwhelmed. The thought of blowing the snow out of there makes a lot of sense to me. I know a snowblower would be a lot slower then a blade but I just can't imagine a blade working in my situation. The thinking is it might take around 40-45 minutes to clear my 1100' driveway with a 5' snowblower (based on replies to this post). I can live with that as long as the blower will handle anything mother nature might throw at me. Is my thinking correct? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Where is your property with the 2000' driveway? I see you already have a blower on a BX. How long would you estimate it'd take to clear your driveway of say a 6-8" snowfall, 12' wide (3 passes of your 48" blower)?

Can use all the help I can get!

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #40  
Ray:

Do you have a garage door opener for your 8' door? I was faced with a similar problem (albeit, I have R4 tires, and I believe they're shorter than R1's although I don't offhand know how much), but I was able to adjust the travel of my garage door opener such that the door gasket is above the plane of the bottom of the door header when the door is raised. The result is full clearance through the door opening, as if the garage door was not installed. I wind up with about 3" or so of clearance.

Rick