PTO Power Loss

/ PTO Power Loss #1  

Kubotasrking

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC45D
Hoping a broad audience can help answer....

I bought a used TYM 273 a year or so ago with some cool attachments to add to my existing NH collection. I started using it to chip some willow limbs a couple weeks ago and started experiencing some trouble with the PTO not starting after I moved to the next pile of limbs. The only thing that was turned off was the switch for the PTO. Move 50’, and no PTO power.

I parked the tractor for a few hours, went back, works fine. I then run the pto without shutting it off and it loses power after an hour or so. By losing power I mean it will no longer turn the chipper after an hour. I let it cool down again, and it works for an hour more and the cycle repeats.

some more info:

- the chipper is rated for my tractor
- the entire system was serviced last weekend and the situation hasn’t improved
- the switch works, or so it seems
- the PTO works when tractor is cool for 45-60 minutes. Then it loses power and slows down and eventually stops.

Seems like a valve problem, but I can’t spot them on the tractor. Has anyone seen this before?

thanks for the help.

/ PTO Power Loss #2  

I bought a used TYM 273 a year or so ago with some cool attachments to add to my existing NH collection. I started using it to chip some willow limbs a couple weeks ago and started experiencing some trouble with the PTO not starting after I moved to the next pile of limbs. The only thing that was turned off was the switch for the PTO. Move 50’, and no PTO power.

I parked the tractor for a few hours, went back, works fine. I then run the pto without shutting it off and it loses power after an hour or so. By losing power I mean it will no longer turn the chipper after an hour. I let it cool down again, and it works for an hour more and the cycle repeats.

some more info:

- the PTO works when tractor is cool for 45-60 minutes. Then it loses power and slows down and eventually stops.

Seems like a valve problem, but I can’t spot them on the tractor. Has anyone seen this before?

thanks for the help.
Does it have an independent pto? If it does it, has a clutch that connects the pto to a dedicated drive shaft generally via a clutch that is pressure actuated. I don't know the specifics of the TYM system . Do you have a shop manual for the machine? if so, there should be a system description that tells you how it is supposed to work. That should help you trouble shoot the problem.

/ PTO Power Loss #3  
Wild guess, but not sure if it could be relevant,... how’s your hydraulic fluid level?

/ PTO Power Loss
Thanks for the responses. The hst fluid level is good. I was hoping someone had seen this before to avoid tearing the entire thing down...looks like a tear down is happening this fall.

/ PTO Power Loss #5  
Still a bit confused about what "will no longer.turn" means. Is it a) straining to turn it and something is slipping or it lacks power or b) is it dead like the PTO clutch isn't even engaged?

/ PTO Power Loss #6  
If there's any electrics involved I'd first look to verify those. Flaky electrical connections will get more finicky with heat (and sometimes cold).

Just to clarify, you ONLY have had issues with the PTO within the last couple of weeks, nothing before?

/ PTO Power Loss #7  
I have had that problem before but it was on a Ford 8830.

The pto bearing was bad.

In my situation anyway, the bearing would heat up and expand then bind up. After it cooled off it would work.
it could be the same thing?

/ PTO Power Loss #9  
I had the PTO switch go bad on the JD 2025R. Actually, it didn't totally quit. I could usually jiggle it, and it would work.

/ PTO Power Loss #10  

some more info:

thanks for the help.
Is the PTO not turning the shaft? Or is the chipper not turning?