PTO Pump

/ PTO Pump #11  
BobG_in_VA said:
Doug:
1. Tank mounts diretly onto the BH under the operators seat/feet. Pump is only connected to the BH by the hyd hoses and mounts directly on your PTO. Trust me, the biggest issue is "mating" the BH and tractor as you only have about an inch or two clearance on either side where the PTO pump actually ends up between the tank edges (Tank is sorta U shaped). My 6000 is an '02. Bradco designed the unit in '03...they changed the swinging drawbar frame and lenght of the swinging drawbar when they did the BH thing. Not knowing this, I couldn't understand why it wouldn't fit right. Finally the dealer figured it out with Mahindra, he got a new D-Bar frame, brought it out and then it fitted OK.

2 Not sure on the 4110, but the 6000 has a separate resv for the hydraulic fluid from the trans/diff case (only holds a tad less than 4 gallons of hyd fluid). I didn't want to "burn" the paint off the hyd resv, if I used the unit a lot..and I didn't want to have to run the engine any higher rpm than really necessary...Realistically, my tractor/FEL/BH (with loaded rears) weights about 11K pounds...I haven't found anything I can't handle with it at only 1200rpm as that weight combined with the power of the 511 are really something.

3. Even with 12 gallons of hyd fluid, after a couple of hours of constant usage, that external hyd fluid tank gets somewhat tepid (read real warm, so much that you can start to smell the hyd fluid). The 511 requires 11gal/min, The PTO pump puts out about 14ish or so, I'm cycling that whole tank every minute or so when I'm pushing it. So....guess what, if you reduce the volume of hyd fluid it moves faster and gets hotter much quicker... I like the the external tank (by the way, I have a 511 hyd tank that fits a 4110 (thats what my dealer told me as they sent the wrong tank as well with my 511.) I wouldn't worry about any inline cooler as I'm not planning on deep frying any chickens when I'm working...When it gets warm, I usually do too, so I take a break....I'm retired you know....(grin). BobG in VA
Thanks for the info Bob... very helpful! :) I think we are talking the same thing on the tank location... just using different terms. I was mainly trying to figure out if the Mahindra kit's tank mounts to pre-drilled holes. Going back to Brandi's initial questions, it made me wonder if this is one generic 509/511 PTO pump kit... or a custom kit (or at least custom tank mounts?) for each different subframe. Based on her experience, sounds like it might be the latter.

Must be nice and comfortable working a 511 with that much tractor weight. Kind of like sitting in your living room sofa! :D

That is not much hydraulic oil! No wonder you went to a PTO system for the BH. My 4110 has no external oil tank other than the large filter housing. I have yet to notice any overheating or hot oil smell while using the 509. Perhaps there is enough oil mass (and sufficient tractor metal/surface area) to shed the heat generated ... or perhaps I'm just not working that 509 hard enough! :) Even if I manage to kick up the oil flow from 7.87 GPM to 9.5 GPM someday with a newer 4110 pump, I'm guessing I'll still be okay.

Thanks again,
Dougster

/ PTO Pump #12  
I'm going out to the farm today, so I'll try and remember to take a camera, to take a picture of the tank/PTO pump etc sitting there. Not sure how to answer some of the questions asked...The hydraulic oil "smell" comes from the overflow/breather that's on the 511's external tank. You probably don't have one of these on your tractor, so that's why you never smelled it. BobG in VA

/ PTO Pump #13  
BobG_in_VA said:
I'm going out to the farm today, so I'll try and remember to take a camera, to take a picture of the tank/PTO pump etc sitting there. Not sure how to answer some of the questions asked...The hydraulic oil "smell" comes from the overflow/breather that's on the 511's external tank. You probably don't have one of these on your tractor, so that's why you never smelled it. BobG in VA
A photo or two would be great!!! :) And understood on the oil smell. I didn't stop to think that you were talking about the external tank.

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #14  
Mahindra must have changed things around quite a bit,. I had what I was told was the first PTO pump for a 511 and 4110 machine, to the point I was required to send in frequent reports on how it operated to the VP. That said, it was an Italian made pump, offset with a planetary gear system, longer rails on the hoe which held an 18 gallon tank. Not even close looking to these Prince pumps.. The difference with Mahindra's system or that the they sent to the dealer to install, was like day and night. Bradco's are a cadillac hoe, but, the 511's need 17 GPM to operate correctly.

/ PTO Pump #15  
LarryRB said:
Mahindra must have changed things around quite a bit,. I had what I was told was the first PTO pump for a 511 and 4110 machine, to the point I was required to send in frequent reports on how it operated to the VP. That said, it was an Italian made pump, offset with a planetary gear system, longer rails on the hoe which held an 18 gallon tank. Not even close looking to these Prince pumps.. The difference with Mahindra's system or that the they sent to the dealer to install, was like day and night. Bradco's are a cadillac hoe, but, the 511's need 17 GPM to operate correctly.
Thanks for clarifying that Larry. Sounds like they set you up with quite a deluxe system! :) And, if geared up and not direct drive, it also sounds like JPM should NOT try to run that pump of his at 1,000 RPM (PTO speed) unless he wants to blow something out! :eek:

Dougster

/ PTO Pump
Dougster said:
Thanks for the info Bob... very helpful! :) I think we are talking the same thing on the tank location... just using different terms. I was mainly trying to figure out if the Mahindra kit's tank mounts to pre-drilled holes. Going back to Brandi's initial questions, it made me wonder if this is one generic 509/511 PTO pump kit... or a custom kit (or at least custom tank mounts?) for each different subframe. Based on her experience, sounds like it might be the latter.

Must be nice and comfortable working a 511 with that much tractor weight. Kind of like sitting in your living room sofa! :D

That is not much hydraulic oil! No wonder you went to a PTO system for the BH. My 4110 has no external oil tank other than the large filter housing. I have yet to notice any overheating or hot oil smell while using the 509. Perhaps there is enough oil mass (and sufficient tractor metal/surface area) to shed the heat generated ... or perhaps I'm just not working that 509 hard enough! :) Even if I manage to kick up the oil flow from 7.87 GPM to 9.5 GPM someday with a newer 4110 pump, I'm guessing I'll still be okay.

Thanks again,
Dougster

Dougster,
What my salesman showed me was that with a PTO Pump installation, there is a different Frame Half Mount, so it would seem the holes are already drilled for the tank. But I can't seeing buying another Frame half and then fight the old one off and the new one on, just to save drilling some holes.
hugs, Brandi

/ PTO Pump #17  
bindian said:
Dougster, What my salesman showed me was that with a PTO Pump installation, there is a different Frame Half Mount, so it would seem the holes are already drilled for the tank. But I can't seeing buying another Frame half and then fight the old one off and the new one on, just to save drilling some holes. hugs, Brandi
Makes sense. On what you are calling my frame half mount, there are three ~9/16" holes drilled on each side (aligned vertically about at the midpoint) which I always thought might have been put there for a future PTO pump tank. I could see no other purpose... certainly not for shipping. :confused: From what you saw, was my speculation correct?

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #18  
All this talk about retro fitting a PTO pump/tank to a BH that you already have is doable...that said, I actually wouldn't recommend it unless you are a decent wrencher and have a GOOD hydraulics shop nearby...I had to bypass lines, chage directions, add this/take off that....and finally had what I have today....Not for the faint of heart...That is if you planned on doing it yourself. If you got the dinars to have the dealer do it for you...pls proceed,(griin). PS" fprgpt tp tale tje camera with me....I'm selling an International 2pt sickle bar mower and had to get it out...BobG in VA

/ PTO Pump #19  
BobG_in_VA said:
All this talk about retro fitting a PTO pump/tank to a BH that you already have is doable...that said, I actually wouldn't recommend it unless you are a decent wrencher and have a GOOD hydraulics shop nearby...I had to bypass lines, chage directions, add this/take off that....and finally had what I have today....Not for the faint of heart...That is if you planned on doing it yourself. If you got the dinars to have the dealer do it for you...pls proceed,(griin).
First off, I am known around here as Dirt Poor Doug! :eek: Secondly, what good is it to pay someone else to have all the fun? :D

I definitely DO NOT have a good hydraulics shop around here. They are all a bunch of thieves who look down on mere tractor owners. If your machine ain't YELLOW, you ain't nobody to them. :( But on a project like this... half the fun is learning and the other half is saving some money. If I ever do go this route... probably because I found a good used 511 somewhere... I will definitely do whatever it takes to build this thing myself! :)

Dougster

/ PTO Pump #20  
doug i didn/t know you were worried about me:D or is really just the 4110:D
j