PTO shaft TX1240

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #1  

Marcle

Silver Member
Herefordshire/Gloucestershire boarders UK
Tractor
Iseki 2140
Okay, this may seem a stupid question to ask, so let me explain first. Its a new machine to me, its currently fitted with a back actor (rear end digger) with a hydraulic pump fitted to the rear PTO shaft so I can't see the actual PTO shaft as the pump drive coupling is push home. Also its tipping down here and no where under cover to work on the machine.

What I'd like to know please, is the front PTO shaft the same size as the rear PTO? Also what would the size be known as please?

Thanks in advance.

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #2  
Okay, this may seem a stupid question to ask, so let me explain first. Its a new machine to me, its currently fitted with a back actor (rear end digger) with a hydraulic pump fitted to the rear PTO shaft so I can't see the actual PTO shaft as the pump drive coupling is push home. Also its tipping down here and no where under cover to work on the machine.

What I'd like to know please, is the front PTO shaft the same size as the rear PTO? Also what would the size be known as please?

Thanks in advance.

The front PTO shaft should be the same, and it runs a bit different. It actually runs off of your fan, or serpentine belt. I have seen people use the front PTO for a hydraulic pump, like you have, however you cannot control it like on the rear. It will just run constantly while the engine is running. If that is allright, then it may be beneficial for you to use it. If you remove the small plate with two screws below your radiator screen, you will reveal the pto shaft. You will need an extension if you go this route. I hope this helps a bit. Do you have a photo of your tractor? The PTO size is 1 3/8.

100_1822-1.jpg

/ PTO shaft TX1240
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I will get some photos sorted, but the weather here is awful at present.

I see in another thread you were trying to sort out the hydraulics to fit a front end loader. Mine has the FEL, so can take photos of that as well if you wish.

Whilst on the subject of hydraulics, I have a post in the general hydraulics section (by mistake, thing at the time is was for Iseki) asking about pressure relief valves as my FEL is a bit weak. A member has posted some general help, but its not specific to my machine, so I was wondering as you've said you have a workshop manual, whether you could forward any info on that section please?

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #5  
I can't really help you, I don't think, but we need to see more pictures of your tractor. I'm really interested in the self-leveling bucket and the dual wheel adapters.

On my Yanmar and Kubota machines, the front PTO shaft is of a different diameter. One has a 13 spline female coupling, one has an adapter bolted to the crankshaft pulley, and I've never disassembled the other, but it uses a female fitted splined connection on the crankshaft pulley as well. If you are trying to run another hydraulic pump, you should be able to match Lovejoy style couplings to the pump and to the crankshaft pulley. If there isn't a fitting on the pulley, I have made my own to attach. Any machine shop can do this for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

If you are trying to run a three point type implement, you will probably really struggle. The front PTO turns at engine speed, something like 5 times faster than the rear PTO.

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #6  
Thank you so much for posting the photos! That is a great looking tractor! I really like the dual wheels on the rear. I knew that they could be set up this way, however I have never seen a TX with the dual rears installed. The fel set up is good to see as well. Thanks for the photos, including the hydraulic photo from under the seat! I did quite a bit of reading in the service manual, and I was not able to find anything specific to the loader, however there were several pages coving the hydraulics. It did suggest that there is a hydraulic bleed screw under the seat, as noted in the diagram below. That may be the issue. You may want to bleed your hydraulic system, it is possible that you have air in the system causing it to run slowly. I also added a few pages from the service manual on regular service that may be helpful as well. I hope this helps a bit. The service manual only covered the tractor, and the rotovator. Thanks again for the photos!

hyd1.jpg

hyd2.jpg

hyd4.jpg

maint1.jpg

serv2.jpg

serv3.jpg

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #7  
This is a photo of the front PTO. I was able to get my weights off, and the front cover off when I flushed my radiator. As you can see, you will need an extension to use it:

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

/ PTO shaft TX1240 #8  
Marcle,
I have that same exact tractor minus the rear dualies.
Same color,
and same Polymarks Beaver Backhoe(rear end differ) and FEL.

Dave

/ PTO shaft TX1240
This is a photo of the front PTO. I was able to get my weights off, and the front cover off when I flushed my radiator. As you can see, you will need an extension to use it:
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for the excellent photos. There's no cover over mine (by design) though as you say it will need an extension to be usable, plus part of the front end loader bracketery fouls access to it.

I see it has a toothed drive belt, is it a Vee belt or a timing belt?

/ PTO shaft TX1240
Marcle,
I have that same exact tractor minus the rear dualies.
Same color,
and same Polymarks Beaver Backhoe(rear end differ) and FEL.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have come across your videos on Youtube. Trying to pick up large objects is always difficult! I'm going to add a 'thumb' on to mine as it makes it so much easier when moving large stones etc.

As for my rear wheels, I'm not sure about them. The previous owner fitted them as he was frightened of rolling it, though he never added a roll protection bar, strange... They will certainly be a hindrance when using things like Rotavators as you'll be constantly driving over your fresh work.