PTO shield safety chains

/ PTO shield safety chains #1  

davrow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27HST
I've been researching this lately and find it amazing how controversial it is, and how much contradictory advice is given.

Some people claim you should never cut the chain to shorten it as that is not safe... yet those same people cut their PTO shafts to fit without a 2nd thought. :confused:

Bare-co makes an aftermarket PTO shield and they claim using the chain is more dangerous than leaving it off! (I disagree strongly with this, the idea is to NOT have rotating stuff back there)

The tractor's PTO shield has a hole in it to attach the safety chain to for that end. But do you (those of you who use a shield and chain) shorten the chain or let it wrap around the shield?

And where in the world do you attach the chain on the implement end?

You are right if you are guessing this is my first time with a PTO implement, just want to be as safe as possible. :)

Thanks

/ PTO shield safety chains #2  
My experience has been to use the PTO shield chains just as they come OE. I've used different shafts from different sources on several different attachments and have had no problems with the shield or chains. Sometimes I attach the tractor side to a loop on the top link and the implement side to anywhere it will reach. Works on my tiller, the stump grinder and the wood chipper.

But I'm still a learner.

Cheers,
Mike

/ PTO shield safety chains #3  
Heck, I've always removed the chain as nobody ever told me what it was for.

I do use it to suspend the shaft off of the ground when the implement is stored.

/ PTO shield safety chains #4  
The chain has to have some slack in it because the PTO shaft moves up and down as you raise and lower the implement. I leave mine as they come.

There is very little force on them. It does not hurt to let them wrap around the PTO shaft cover. If it's really long (possibly because of where you're attaching it) there's nothing wrong with shortening it.

/ PTO shield safety chains #5  
The chain has to have some slack in it because the PTO shaft moves up and down as you raise and lower the implement. I leave mine as they come.

There is very little force on them. It does not hurt to let them wrap around the PTO shaft cover. If it's really long (possibly because of where you're attaching it) there's nothing wrong with shortening it.

^^^^ +1 I always use mine... A little slack is fine...

"And where in the world do you attach the chain on the implement end?" If my implement doesn't have a proper attachment point (like my debris blower) I usually make one by drilling a small hole (somewhere convenient) & attaching it to the drilled hole or a heavy duty split ring I install in the drilled hole.

Getting to the point in my life where..... "safety first".... I even where safety glasses now were I wouldn't have even thought about it in my younger years... (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks)... Oh really, wear safety glasses...

/ PTO shield safety chains #6  
Heck, I've always removed the chain as nobody ever told me what it was for.

I do use it to suspend the shaft off of the ground when the implement is stored.

Exactly. I farm and I've never used the 'safety chain' in any of my powered implements (I have quite a few) except to hold the shaft off the ground when not in use. Worthless piece of stuff.

/ PTO shield safety chains #7  
I picked up a used piece of PTO driven equipment some years back that came with a pto shaft and shield.
The plastic shield must not have ever been greased. It had "welded" it's self to the steel pto shaft so firmly I had to chip it out of the locating groove with a cape chisel. The shield would likely have pulled clothing or an arm just as readily as a bare shaft. I discovered this issue because I had to shorten the pto to fit my tractor. Those shields cost up near $100, and I only paid $150 for the bush hog.

If you use the chain, GREASE the shield! If you don't use the chain, heat will not build due to friction, the shield won't melt, and then it will stop when something comes against it.

Sometimes "safety" is no more than miss directed good intentions.

I run shields without chains on rear pto's, open shafts on front pto's. I try to be careful.

Oh! Long chains are fine, they self adjust if you let them wrap. And any place works to secure them. I used to just use the end clip to make a look to drop over the draw bar or the top link adjusting handle. Just don't forget and allow a chain to swing free and flap around uncontrolled. That's what breaks the fixing tab on the shield. ;-)

It ain't rocket science!

/ PTO shield safety chains #8  
Exactly. I farm and I've never used the 'safety chain' in any of my powered implements (I have quite a few) except to hold the shaft off the ground when not in use. Worthless piece of stuff.

My equipment is old, no such chains on the PTO shafts, I treat a spinning shaft with extreme caution and respect, the best policy with or without the guard.

/ PTO shield safety chains #9  
I loop a zip tie through the hole in the tractor's PTO shield. That's always there and not in the way when I don't use it. Then I loop the implement PTO chain through that zip tie loop and clip the chain back on itself. That keeps the shield from spinning but gives me a cheap break away (zip tie) in case it ever binds, so I don't break the chain or shield.
On the implement end, I loop the chain around the nearest brace or support and leave it there permanently.

/ PTO shield safety chains #10  
I like the zip tie idea. One of my shield had the front loop for the chain broken off. Just the rear chain keeps the shield from turning. But a long zip tie will allow me to attach the forward chain, thanks for the idea.