pto shift grinding

/ pto shift grinding #1  

hoppy50680

I have a Kama TS 254C. when I push in the clutch and try to engage the pto lever(left side below the seat) it wont go in, all it does is grind. the only way I can get it in gear is to shut off the engine and twist the pto shaft until it will go in when I pull up on the lever. then restart and we're good to go. I thought perhaps a clutch rod adjustment might help but it didnt. can anyone tell me how to fix this?

/ pto shift grinding #2  
three possibilities:
1. clutch interlock switch set too high
2. clutch stop bolt set too high
3. PTO clutch out of alignment.
The first two are dead simple. The 3rd one you might want to talk to your dealer about.

//greg//

/ pto shift grinding #3  
Actually the PTO clutch adjustment is not hard.You first need axcess to the clutch (left side cover usually under the Loader bracket) check for proper free pedal and adjust as needed, then check and adjust pto clutch bolts.There's a write up and pictures on the NY CTO website. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Once you do it, nuttin to it. where are you??

/ pto shift grinding #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually the PTO clutch adjustment is not hard.)</font>

That's not the point Mark. Depends upon the dealer I'm sure, but an owner-adjusted PTO clutch could technically invalidate any remaining tractor warranty. Especially if the dealer considers subsequent problems to have been as a result.

//greg//

/ pto shift grinding #5  
I agree with Greg, this should be something the dealer should take care of, if still on warrantee. You may want ask if you can observe the mechanic making the adj so you can perform it once off warrantee.

If a self-import or you have to perform the work, review the Jinma clutch mechinism to see how close it is in design to the Kama model you have. I believe the clutch adj posts on NYCTO, are on Jinma. Even the access holes may be significantly different. Or you might get extremely lucky and the design is exactly the same.

/ pto shift grinding #6  
The TS254C is a little easier to adjust than a Jinma because the PTO and main pressure plates each have thier own set of fingers.
First question is does teh PTO shaft stop when the clutch is fully depressed?
turning in the stop bolt will give you a little more release on the clutch.
You should remove the side cover and make sure the three PTO fingers are about .040 behind the three main fingers. they should all be the same.

It is best never to use this lever, in fact I recommend cutting it off so you must use pliers to operate it. there is a neutural position on the speed select lever and you can use it to disengage your implement. In fact the larger KM do not even have this lever. It is useful if you want ot disengage your hydraulics and still drive the tractor.

/ pto shift grinding #7  
Chip,
I hate to ask a dumb question but what is this handle for? I have never used mine so I am clueless....

/ pto shift grinding #8  
It is a little redundant, disconnects the input shaft side of the PTO gear set. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jinma did away with the lever (located by your right heal on Jinma) but the collar that connects the two splined shafts would slip out of place without the lever to hold it so they put it back. If you have a rear mounted pump, say for a backhoe on a Jinma, you can use the lever to disengage the pump. Of course you disengage the PTO at the same time so it is not often used. If you grind it and throw a burr it can become impossible to engage without taking the lift box housing off, so don't grind it!

/ pto shift grinding #10  
This is the lever I been using to enguge and dis engauge the PTO. have used it since DAY 1. I didn't know the speed lever would or could be used to disconnect it back then. I still look at is as the speed selector is for just that selecting the pto speed. and the engauge lever is the one on the foot rest...

anyhow mine will grind a bit sometimes too, you HAVE to cometo a stop and leave the clutch pushed IN for several seconds as the gears have enough spinning weight to keep the shaft spinning for some time (10 sec or so) and if it don't slip in right away & easy I let the clutch out SLOWLY while applying a bit of pressure it will slip right in similar to the Dif Loc or the 4 wheel drive!.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif