PTO stuck on Rotary Mower

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #22  
Could you just swap out that snap ring for one with ears? Probably cheaper that new pliers. Unless there is a clearance issue, I don't see where it would be a problem.

Doug in SW IA

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #23  
Could you just swap out that snap ring for one with ears? Probably cheaper that new pliers. Unless there is a clearance issue, I don't see where it would be a problem.

Doug in SW IA

I think that retaining ring is there to prevent separation when the shear bolt breaks to prevent the driveshaft from flopping around. That type of ring is about twice as thick as a snap ring. Also less tab area to be grabbed by a spinning force. Would a snap ring work? Might be expensive test?

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower
I got it back on, with that tool.

I tried with two flat screw drivers but it's a tight spot. Using that tool and a flat blade it went on.

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower
I think that retaining ring is there to prevent separation when the shear bolt breaks to prevent the driveshaft from flopping around. That type of ring is about twice as thick as a snap ring. Also less tab area to be grabbed by a spinning force. Would a snap ring work? Might be expensive test?

I think you are right. Once that shear bolt breaks it would come right off without that ring.

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #26  
I had a pair of those pliers in my tool box for years and never used them. Had a job the other day with the same snap ring. I fought with it for several minutes before remembering that tool. took me about 10 seconds after remembering that set of pliers to get my job done. I don't ever remember buying those pliers or why. Glad they were there!