Pull behind brush cutter

/ Pull behind brush cutter #11  
The RAMMY ATV UTV front mounted flail mower will do everything you need all season long.

I don't know if they have a dealer in your area yet but it would be simple enough to order one
from METSA machines in Michigan and have them ship it by AMTRAK to the nearest freight depot
for you.

LeonZ

/ Pull behind brush cutter #12  
I've got experience with a tow behind brush mower and used it on rough trails. I'm not sold on this front mounted Rammy idea. I think we'd have broke it.

/ Pull behind brush cutter #13  
Rammy has been building the flail mowers for quite a while along with rotary lawn mowers, rotary brush cutters
and single stage snow throwers.

They stopped making the ATV/UTV 2 stage snow blowers a couple of years ago which in my opinion
was a wise decision as the single stage snow throwers are simpler to build as they require less fabrication
work with stronger sheet steel and fewer parts.

Last edited:
   / Pull behind brush cutter #14  
I used a Swisher 44" rough cut pull behind with my atv for several years until I got my tractor and a 5' brush hog. It worked great for weeds and light brush. It had a 12.5 hp pull start Briggs engine. The biggest problem I had was the atv would get hot from the continuous slow speeds. I have a Yamaha Grizzly 700. It didn't overheat but the gas in the tank would literally boil and needed vented frequently. The mower held up really well though. Only sold it because it became obsolete once I had the tractor and brush hog. But I do miss it sometimes due to the offset capability. They aren't cheap but well worth it for trail maintenance like you are looking for. Just make sure it is a rough cut with brush hog style free swinging blades and not a finish mower with fixed blades.
View attachment 775593

Last edited:
   / Pull behind brush cutter #15  
The swisher 44" with the larger 14.5 hp motor is the best one you can get I think, way better than the DR or the Kunz. Those other two are way overpriced and don't have the swinging blades and stump jumper. I pull it with a Grizzly 450, never overheats even in late summer, but mine is one with liquid cooling. If a 700 was overheating it might need some coolant checked.

/ Pull behind brush cutter #16  
I found these last night. Made to be pulled by horse but I am sure they could be pulled by a tractor. And they are bigger. Up to 90 inches.

I am sure they are not cheap but I bet they are well made. It should be easy to make an offset hitch.

I was thinking the self propelled mowers behind lower hp tractors.

Last edited:
   / Pull behind brush cutter #17  
A horse drawn mower. Don't that beat all?
I had a mott hammer knife 48" tow behind flail mower yrs ago. I towed it with the craftsman mower. But the mower tires pushed the grass down and mower missed some of the pushed down grass. SO I put it on the front of the mower which cut great but made the the little tractor front heavy and the rear wheel drive slipped badly so ... eventually I gave up and bought something bigger. Better.

Last edited:
   / Pull behind brush cutter #18  
The swisher 44" with the larger 14.5 hp motor is the best one you can get I think, way better than the DR or the Kunz. Those other two are way overpriced and don't have the swinging blades and stump jumper. I pull it with a Grizzly 450, never overheats even in late summer, but mine is one with liquid cooling. If a 700 was overheating it might need some coolant checked.
Hummmm the swisher is the best built? They sure are lightly build. Last time I checked, Kunz didn't build a rough terrian, rough cut mower. DR does build a rought mower which does have swing blades but its not built to last and I can't recommend them. No atv should be over heating unless it has some cooling system probelm.

/ Pull behind brush cutter #19  
Hummmm the swisher is the best built? They sure are lightly build. Last time I checked, Kunz didn't build a rough terrian, rough cut mower. DR does build a rought mower which does have swing blades but its not built to last and I can't recommend them. No atv should be over heating unless it has some cooling system probelm.
I've been beating on mine for the last ten years or so, the only weak point is the hitch that I had to add a piece of angle iron to reinforce. Kunz builds a rough cut mower, very expensive but it uses heavy fixed blades. The DR has swinging blades but no stump jumper. The swisher is pretty heavy for an ATV mower, obviously its light compared to a tractor drawn bush hog though.

/ Pull behind brush cutter #20  
I used a Swisher 44" rough cut pull behind with my atv for several years until I got my tractor and a 5' brush hog. It worked great for weeds and light brush. It had a 12.5 hp pull start Briggs engine. The biggest problem I had was the atv would get hot from the continuous slow speeds. I have a Yamaha Grizzly 700. It didn't overheat but the gas in the tank would literally boil and needed vented frequently. The mower held up really well though. Only sold it because it became obsolete once I had the tractor and brush hog. But I do miss it sometimes due to the offset capability. They aren't cheap but well worth it for trail maintenance like you are looking for. Just make sure it is a rough cut with brush hog style free swinging blades and not a finish mower with fixed blades.
View attachment 775593
I second that opinion. I pulled the 12.5hp Swisher rough cutter behind a Mule 4x4 UTV for 4 years until I could swing a tractor and Bush Hog. The Swisher didnt cut pretty like a finish mower would, but it would eat absolutely anything it could be pulled across, including vines, small trees, and thick brush. I can remember pulling it through overgrowth that was 4 feet high and it mangled it all. It’s actually perfectly suited to clearing trails, and when I got my tractor and PTO cutter, I donated the Swisher to a local mountain biking/rails-to-trails org. They were tickled pink!