Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ?

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #71  
Here is the shovel place I bought my shovel from. They are small and easy to use. And not a toy.

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #72  
Back a few pages I mentioned that my Kubota/LandPride hybrid snowblower presented a puzzler because we couldn't raise the back of it and thus couldn't use it on my gravel road. The folks at the dealer went to work and modified it by getting rid of the goofy spring suspension thingy at the front and welding an extension on the skid so I could raise the back end and set the whole thing level.

Here's the result after an 8" snowfall. I call this perfect. I just drove around and let that rascal float up and down over the bumps in my road. Beats the heck out of working.

Snowblown driveway2.jpg

Here are some thumbnails to show what they did. Click on them to embiggen.

This is the way it sits now -- level, 2" off the ground.

Snowblower Mod 1.jpg

This is the view from the inside, showing how they modified the trailing edge of the skid.

Snowblower Mod 3.jpg Snowblower Mod 4.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #73  
I am reading this thread because I will be buying a blower for next year. I live in Iowa now and the snow is pretty minimal (except for last week) and I've always done my drive and barn area with a grading blade on a JD 3039R. Next year, I'll be living outside of Duluth with a 1/4 mile driveway. So this thread is really interesting to me.

I've been more or less sold on inverted (strange name) blower and probably a hybrid (another strange name) at that. I thought I might start shopping for a used one or a good deal on a new one this spring and summer. If I don't find one by August, then I would order one from a dealer. I have dealers I could use both here in central Iowa or in Duluth.

Given my tractor size (~40 horses) and gravel drive, what make/model/size blower would you guys recommend?

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #74  
I cannot tell you what size you need as many others can help. I am a believer that x amount of hp is going to move x amount of snow regardless of blower width. The first pass is the only pass you have to do full width. If you decide to get a larger tractor down the road maybe a blower a little larger now? Main thing is be sure you can lift it with it covered in snow and slush.

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #75  
I cannot tell you what size you need as many others can help. I am a believer that x amount of hp is going to move x amount of snow regardless of blower width. The first pass is the only pass you have to do full width. If you decide to get a larger tractor down the road maybe a blower a little larger now? Main thing is be sure you can lift it with it covered in snow and slush.
I do not plan on a larger tractor in the future. This one should do forever, and if anything, I'd downsize with a new one. I was thinking a 74" rig would be nice, and I think the tractor is probably big enough for that. Maybe a slightly larger one would be okay, but I try to avoid oversizing things that make them a struggle to use.

I don't think there would be any hesitation to lift it with the 3 pt. Not sure what the tractor is rated for back there, but I was thinking maybe a bit over 2000#.

From what I can see, a Frontier in that size is about $5100. That seems reasonable to me. But perhaps there are better brands/models with better features (like adjustable skids and access doors to the chute)?

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #76  
Access doors to the chute is awesome in my line of work. I run with no shoes but only doing 3 gravel driveways. I love inverted but they cost more. I believe they follow the tractor much better as they tend to float more with the tractor than a push type. Not sure one brand is that much better than another. None are better than the dealer you are getting it from

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #77  
I would say check the blower weights closely.
From some of the Inverted units I looked up many of the Hybrid Inverted blowers are actually lighter for the 3 point to lift than the standard Inverted blowers.

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #78  
I can only speak on the larger inverted and my 92" sits so far back from my tractor that a tractor that says it can lift it may not. I doubt you have that issue though

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #79  
I can only speak on the larger inverted and my 92" sits so far back from my tractor that a tractor that says it can lift it may not. I doubt you have that issue though

Yes the distance back from the 3 point definitely affects the lifting ability.

/ Pull type Hybrid snowblowers ? #80  
I am reading this thread because I will be buying a blower for next year. I live in Iowa now and the snow is pretty minimal (except for last week) and I've always done my drive and barn area with a grading blade on a JD 3039R. Next year, I'll be living outside of Duluth with a 1/4 mile driveway. So this thread is really interesting to me.

I've been more or less sold on inverted (strange name) blower and probably a hybrid (another strange name) at that. I thought I might start shopping for a used one or a good deal on a new one this spring and summer. If I don't find one by August, then I would order one from a dealer. I have dealers I could use both here in central Iowa or in Duluth.

Given my tractor size (~40 horses) and gravel drive, what make/model/size blower would you guys recommend?

I find the most important match is weight and traction to pull the blower. After pulling in 8-12” of snow, you really need traction. If you have low horsepower, you will have to pull slow so you don’t overload the fan, if you pull fast, you need horsepower so the fan can process and doesn’t overload. It’s a catch 22.

Kevin