pump/pressure switch question

/ pump/pressure switch question #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
my pump quit so i bypassed the pressure switch and found that the switch is bad. if i run the pump and have all valves closed will it blow out a valve? do i need to provide pressure relief since the pump is on all the time? so far i've been switching the pump on with the breaker switch when i need water and then turning it off.

/ pump/pressure switch question #2  
It will find the weekest link in your plumbing, or just shorten the life of your pump. We seem to go through a pressure switch every year and a half to two years because of our hard water. I keep a spare in a bag hanging near the pump. Never fails that it goes after business hours or on a holiday when the store is closed

/ pump/pressure switch question #3  
I keep a couple of spares in the pump house. I learned the hard way to mount it with the water connection pointing down. If mounted sideways, the hard water sediments will clog the diaphragm will clog faster. And yes they all ways fail in the eve, and when the hardware store is closed. :laughing:

/ pump/pressure switch question #4  
Not a good idea. As 4520RX said, it'll shorten the life of your pump.
You should have a pressure relief. I just replaced the plumbing system in my place- new bladder tank, hot water tank, switch, pump control....everything. The brass T for the bladder tank has all the ports needed, switch, gauge, inlet, outlet, drain and pressure relief port, btw the pressure relief is preset at 75psi.. The pressure switch was only $30< or so, so it's not a major expense compared to a new pump.....Mike

/ pump/pressure switch question
i don't want to go on without the switch but as Pete said these things always happen on Sunday night....

/ pump/pressure switch question #6  
i go thru a switch about every 2 ys.

at about the 1 year point I have to file the contacts and adjust their height. I always have a spar ont he shelf. when one dies I swap that spare in and get another. as said. water always goes out on sunday night before a holiday.. or similar bad timing.

/ pump/pressure switch question #7  
Don't do it. Use the breaker to turn on/off as water is needed until business opens. the pressure switch is probably no more than around $50 (last one I bought was around $27 IIRC). They are easy to change out as long as you pay attention to which wire goes to which terminal on the old one (I draw a diagram before disconnecting).

As for sediment clogging the pressure switch riser - Mine has clogged up to the point I had to use a drill to clean it and it sets vertical.

As long as you are working on it, check your precharge - 2 psi below whatever your cut in is with the tank empty.

Harry K

/ pump/pressure switch question
this didn't turn out to be a bad switch. turned out to be a bad pump. 23 years on the now dead pump. not bad. too bad the pump didn't die when the pump wire got frayed a few years back.

/ pump/pressure switch question #9  
I keep a extra switch and a control box that way I have any of the parts that will go bad. When they do I just repace with the extra one and buy the replacement part next time I am up at the hardware store...

But no I would never just let it keep running if you have to run it to shower or flush then run it only then