Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #61  
I never saw that driver use reverse once. Oh wait, he knows he can't back that trailer setup. Well,,, I might have overstated. He can back it short distances, very short. And he can back it in a relatively straight path. He has no chance of being able to turn it around in that situation by backing it into the entrance where the camera was sitting. No chance.
Hah, as farm kids we did it since the age of 12

/ Pup trailers #63  
Torn knee meniscus, bruised ribs and lacerated lower back, some nasty bruises, too. I was able to plow. Injuries happened from 2 separate incidents.
Yikes ! Treat yourself like a fine tractor, be gentle!
Hope you are on the mend !

/ Pup trailers #64  
We would call the below a dolly trailer:

That’s a steerable pole trailer, a dolly is attached to something with a fifth wheel plate or bearing.

/ Pup trailers #65  
Hah, as farm kids we did it since the age of 12
Not with a rig anything similar to that. Back a 4 wheel wagon with a tractor, you bet. Back that? I'll wait for your video doing it.

/ Pup trailers #66  
Try a mule train short logger trailer out in the wood a with a mile or two back in with the trailer down that’s why some of the dollies are lockable.
The only pup I ever pulled that had a locking pin is similar to the one in the photo. The gap between the 1st and 2nd axles is to allow the front axle a limited amount of pivot. Mine I would about 30 degrees in either direction before it hit the stop. The short distance between the front axle and the trailing axles plus the length of the reach made it very difficult to back when the pin wouldn't drop,
One of the companies we worked with had a pups with a two axle dolly and a good separation between the front and rear axles sets. They could back the trailer where the wanted it, unlock and back the truck beside the trailer and dump both boxes simultaneously side by side.

4 axle pup2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers #67  
That’s a steerable pole trailer, a dolly is attached to something with a fifth wheel plate or bearing.
So does the driver do to steer that pole trailer? Jon

/ Pup trailers #68  
So does the driver do to steer that pole trailer? Jon

Yes they do, in the old pole trailer someone lucky as well as small got to ride in the little car under the load to steer.

/ Pup trailers #69  
Yes they do, in the old pole trailer someone lucky as well as small got to ride in the little car under the load to steer.
So how does the driver steer the pole trailer? Joystick, dials? Jon

/ Pup trailers #70  
IMG_0788.jpg

A three axle with a lockable tandem dolly pole for the PNW this company and General are what’s considered the standard for these types of trailers. With the three axle with the dolly up front it allows them to haul longer lengths without having to use a steer axle trailer.