Purchased a mini instead of a UTV

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Got frustrated with the lack of availability and prices on the UTV's I was considering. Ended up finding a mini truck and it ticked all the boxes for me, including a dump bed. Bonus is I can get a plate in TN and drive it to the lumber yard :)

PXL_20210614_182204212.jpg

PXL_20210614_182237406.jpg

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #2  
They are not legal on the road here in MI, so that killed it for me. I wanted something I could drive a few miles to get to the mail box and visit neighbors as well as do chores. Wound up with a cheap Mule SX ($8k OTD) last year.

I would have gotten a mini truck otherwise.

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV
What egnine size does it have? What is the lift capacity of that box lift?
660 cc fi engine. 54hp 44ft/lb torque it's also 4x4. Good enough to cruise at 60mph without to many issues. It's slow to accelerate and for sure feels the hills but it does the job. Got it mainly for the property and runs to the transfer station. Insurance is 308 dollars a year.

Box is rated to lift 1500 lbs I think, good enough for what I need it for. The hydraulic cylinder is pretty stout compared to the other items on the truck. All 3 sides of the bed can also drop individually for oversize loads.

Has airbags, ps, ac and am/fm. Otherwise the interior is very basic.

I also got new tires so I can take it off road with a little more confidence. Yokohama Geolandar g003

PXL_20210618_125027507.jpg

compared to my f250 tires
PXL_20210618_124957166.jpg

PXL_20210618_124939907.jpg

Last edited:
   / Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #5  
Where'd you get it and ball park price? Love it. Guess it's a stick?

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #6  
They are not legal on the road here in MI, so that killed it for me. I wanted something I could drive a few miles to get to the mail box and visit neighbors as well as do chores. Wound up with a cheap Mule SX ($8k OTD) last year.

I would have gotten a mini truck otherwise.
Interesting. My farmer buddy down the road has one (a bit bigger than the one in the picture) and it's plated and he drives it all over including out in the fields fueling equipment.

He was at HF the other day in Adrian when I was there pocking up my Chief air grinder.

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #7  
What year/make/model? Used/imported from Japanese market I assume? I know there are a couple importers in the USA. For the price they are a great value. Yours looks to be in great shape. I saw one setup as a mini fire truck and that would have been cool.

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV
Where'd you get it and ball park price? Love it. Guess it's a stick?
If you buy them in the US used usually start around 6k and new start around 18k depending on options. Mine is auto, I had to get the auto because it was the only one with AC available at the time. I would have prefered stick but I am not really that disappointed. The 4x4 still works good. You can save a lot of money if you import one yourself.
What year/make/model? Used/imported from Japanese market I assume? I know there are a couple importers in the USA. For the price they are a great value. Yours looks to be in great shape. I saw one setup as a mini fire truck and that would have been cool.
2020 Daihatsu HiJet S510, imported from Japan. IMO Daihatsu is one of the uglier ones, but it has the best reliability reputation as far as I can tell. Plus it was available ;)

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #9  
Mini Trucks are cheaper than most sxs these days/ about the same width/size as a 5 seater and already have a cab with air/heat, lights, and a windshield/ wiper ever price the accessories out for a sxs you know how expensive they can get. When I was over in Japan the locals used mini trucks and Hilux's extensively for what we use 1/2 ton and bigger trucks over here for. They appeared very capable, depending on brand parts are available at an import dealership or online if you know where to look and what you need. Personally id envy anyone who got a diesel with a manual tranny and dump box.

/ Purchased a mini instead of a UTV #10  
Most don't have A/C and there suspenion is not good for off-road use. If you need to tow things then there HP is quite low.