Buying Advice Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #31  
VERY Nice. You should affix a label on the dash, as I did when we got our new Deere, instructing people to take their shoes off.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5
VERY Nice. You should affix a label on the dash, as I did when we got our new Deere, instructing people to take their shoes off.

One of the factors that drove me to Deere over Kubota was the cab. It is well designed and extremely comfortable. Getting it dirty seems like a shame, but she's not a show queen!

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #33  
Great post.

I've had the new 5100M for about a month. I haven't gotten to run it much but managed to log about 11hrs with it. The only chores I have done so far have been moving and grading rock on our driveway and moving/feeding round bales to the animals. I mentioned earlier that we have had mostly Kubotas (at least as far as new tractors go in the last 10 years) and there is definitely some very distinct differences between the orange and green machines. For anyone interested I'd like to share my observations and answer any questions that you might have. I'll start with a few topics tonight and add more later. And just a little background on me, I am not a full time farmer or rancher (bummer) but just a guy that loves equipment and working outside. I am particular on fit and finish details since I deal with that everyday with my occupation as a machinist. So here goes.

Overall impression of the John Deere is very positive. There are a few negatives/opportunities for improvement, but very few.

Fit and finish- I would put it up there as being as good as anything we've ever owned. The paint appears to be near perfect as well as the plastic panels. It does have more plastic (like the hood) than Kubota but I don't think that is a negative attribute. If it holds up well I'll take it. All of our Kubota hoods fade and oxidize pretty easily. As of now I haven't heard any strange noises or rattles that might be caused by missing fasteners, poorly fitting panels, hard lines rubbing on something, etc.

Engine- I have always liked the 4.5L Deere and actually have the same engine in my dozer. To be honest the engine in my tractor is noisy. Much louder than my dozer and when comparing to either our Kubota 8560 or M125X, well there really is no comparison. The orange tractors are simply quiet. What's interesting is that every tier 4 engine I've been around over the last few years have been pleasant on the ears.
It's been about 30 deg here, and starting the engine has been unremarkable. It will turn over about once, maybe twice before starting. It feels pretty torquey but I think the 85 HP version of this might feel underpowered a bit on hills. On the flipside the 115 HP version would be snappy. I haven't been thru any regens yet so I can't comment on that. The engine maintenance is going to be easy. All of the filters are in the open and simple to access. Thank you Mr. Engineer! The screens are also super easy to slide out and clean.

IMG_1835.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

OK, the Mrs. has dinner about ready so I'll take a little break. I'll try and add more each day as time permits.

I'm bumping this thread for a fellow member.

I haven't been able to put many more hours on this tractor yet, it's just been too wet. I did move a fair amount of gravel with the loader and without any wheel weights, the tractor felt really planted in the rear. Still very pleased with this machine.

Also, in an earlier post I mentioned that the engine was quite noisy. However, I should also add that once you are in the cab and the doors/windows are closed, it's very pleasant and not loud at all.