Putting fence in with ground frozen?

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #11  
Benson you could weld a few post to some car rims that makes a good temporay fence. otherwise we would cut barrels in half put coal under by morning frost would be out.

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen?
Thanks Larry. The ponies will stay next door until the weather breaks, but I will still probably use some of these temporary fence ideas until things dry out. With our weather, the ground will likely be frozen or soaked until late May or early June. The car rim/t post idea is a good one. Thanks,
John

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #13  
Gary, I'm sorry I didn't see your question sooner yes I have the identical unit I do need to crank up my relief a little also and I do have the puff drill it is slick. Just backup x marks the spot lower auger and go if we had been doing this as a job my wife wouldn't have been marking and pounding the tpost in I've said this before but its really nice to have a great partner when you live on a ranch everything I do would take 3 times as long if I had to do it by myself. I'm not real proud of our not so straight lines but since the fence is a temporary fix to keep the jackasses from carrying off my tools it'll work fine they don't typically jump into an enclosure but out is a different story.
I was going down 2' and when a tpost is that deep you can't even budge it by hand we did knock off all the stabilizers (the little arrow shaped flat pieces) before we started putting them in and you needed to make darn sure it was facing the right way this said once in a while we'd clip a rock on the way down and it would turn a little without a puller even partially inserted they ain't coming out to start over just finish pounding it in and offset the ties a little.
Your welcome to come by the ranch and check it out I'm not far off IH10 and about 7 miles west of Boerne. PM me and I'll give you my phone and directions if your interested, weekends are best because I still have to work in town so I can buy more toys for my tractor.
Steve

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #14  
If you are really serious about making holes in frozen ground a hydrojet or steamer will work.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #15  
The problem would also be in refilling the holes. Frozen dirt does not tamp well, and come spring melt things would move all over the place....

--->Paul

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #16  
Gary

I have seen the BelTec in ads and am interested. What did it cost down your way? I can't seem to get a quote up here. I grew up about 50 miles north of CowboyDoc and across the river in Illinois. I put in a lot of fence as a kid. When I moved out here I thought these New Englanders had no pride seeing as they had the crookedest fences I had ever seen. Then I tried to put one in. Now I want a BelTec.

Eric

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #17  
$4700 for the hydraulic top link version (48-HTL) with a 9" Rock And Dirt (RAD) auger which is the most common one sold. Quotes went up as high as $5300 with $4900 being pretty common. The auger makes up about $800 to $1000 of the total cost of the package.

Of course, my Dad pointed out how many holes I could have hired dug for that kind of money.

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #18  
hey all, first post to this board.
looks like we need a beltec convention /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
i also have a beltec with a 2", 9", 12" and 16" rad.
best day i had was 161 9" holes in very rocky conditions,in 1 day. for a 3 rail pipe fence.

been lurking on this board for a long time, finally decided to jump in.

later
dan

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #19  
phddan,
I also have a belltec but only have a puff bit which size of larger bit do you find most used as the price for the bits around here is darn near $200. an inch so I can only afford one more for now.
Steve

/ Putting fence in with ground frozen? #20  
steve,
i guess it all depends on what you plan on drilling for. i use the 9" for pipe posts, 12" for cedar, and the 16" for work at fort hood putting in bollards.
is this for personal use, or are you contracting?

dan