Snow Attachments PVC Pipe On Snow Blade

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #11  
Well, I think I should give this a try on my blade. I also can tell my math teacher about it since he needs an easy solution to move snow with his mahindra without picking up all the gravel he just bought. Great Idea indeed.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Good idea.
Wondering if round edge will dig in to remove high spots cause by tires packing the snow.

Thomas, I don't know, but the whole point for me is NOT digging in. I also plow in "float" and move pretty quickly. Momentum. The blade just floats as it should. Once the ground is frozen hard, protecting the gravel isn't nearly the issue that it is now and will be with spring thaws.

I also try to leave a snow pack down. Little dribs and drabs, packed down. I don't try to have bald gravel. We do not get mid winter thaws very often up here.

Anybody got a photo of their blade with "black plastic"?

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #13  
Guys over at one of the plow sites swear by this method, but using steel pipe instead of PVC. Cutting the slot is no doubt more difficult in the steel pipe, but it'd have to get pretty cold before that shattered! :D

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #14  
Yes I have four plows with steel pipe. The cut is the difficult thing to do. I almost used a torch but find the circular saw with a metal cutting blade.(3 pack form wal mart 5 bucks) Is best. slow but nice cut then I used a large chisel and hammer to open he pipe up so it would 'slide' on got one end started and then worked it on.. Words very well.I would think , as it had a tight fit that it might not come off. But I tack welded in place

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #15  
Yes I have four plows with steel pipe. The cut is the difficult thing to do. I almost used a torch but find the circular saw with a metal cutting blade.(3 pack form wal mart 5 bucks) Is best. slow but nice cut then I used a large chisel and hammer to open he pipe up so it would 'slide' on got one end started and then worked it on.. Words very well.I would think , as it had a tight fit that it might not come off. But I tack welded in place

Haven't had a chance to try it myself (I should, I do mostly gravel drives), but the of the accounts that I read the most appealing sounding was to cut the opening wide enough so that it could be fit over the cutting easily, then weld tabs to the ends. The tabs had holes so the pipe could be held on with pins/clips. Then it was a fairly easy on/off for plowing asphalt...

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #16  
This whole pvc pipe idea sounded great to me since I don't want to tear up a new asphalt driveway with my back blade. I used a router with a 1/4" straight bit and an edge guide to cut the slot in the pipe, worked great but what a mess! No snow yet in WNY to try it out.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #17  
On the cut being wide enough the first one I tried to be scientific with it. i measure and decided that Id need two cuts very close. scribed them out. and then realized I could keep the cuts from merging, so I opted the second one to be just the one blade with wide. and then the chisel and hammer allot of whaling and opened it up enough.But yes the tabs is a great way to go. make it just loose enough to slip on and then the tab retainers...I like that idea. I am sure that the cut would then be a couple at least wide of the blade.I was cheap and used a couple pieces of pipe on one. But then the spot weld broke one year and the 10 piece of pipe was 'lost' in the snow. This made me not use the blower the rest of the year..sure didn't want to suck that pipe in.Also ill admit the previous year I had another flat stock piece 'fall' off and that years blowing came to an end.
LOL My goal this year is to not have things break off like that.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #19  
I think horse mat or conveor belt edge is better.

and why doesnt your plow have normal shoes? set them to keep the plow a 1/4" above the surface and dont worry about it.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
and why doesnt your plow have normal shoes?

Uh.. maybe because shoes drag nice deep valleys in soft gravel?

Once the ground freezes up solid and the "packed down" snow get frozen good, these aren't issues. It only during the soft ground period of fall, spring and perhaps a mid-winter thaw.