Snow Attachments PVC Pipe On Snow Blade

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #21  
I think horse mat or conveor belt edge is better.

and why doesnt your plow have normal shoes? set them to keep the plow a 1/4" above the surface and dont worry about it.

Shoes really only work well when you need them the least. They're good on a nice hard flat surface to keep the edge from wearing, but in unfrozen/uneven gravel they're pretty useless at keeping the edge from catching. I haven't used the rubber edges on small plows, but my experience with larger plows would lead me to believe they wouldn't work as well as the round pipe on unfrozen ground - the rubber edges will still dig in, where as the pipe has no edge to catch and bury itself.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
I have the PVC pipe thing down to a 3 minute job. Run 'er through the table saw, bang it on with the small sledge.

Look, it works positively great. Stays put too.

The only issue is that you better have enough scrap PVC laying around, because if you live in a cold climate, and cold and snow sort of go together, that PVC cannot handle the temps and will shatter.

Still, it's cheap, quick and easy. Just won't last forever, or even half that long.:D:D

I may search for Black ABS piece. Don't have one in scrap. But steel is the way to go, it seems, for a longer lasting solution.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #24  
I posted a suggested fabrication approach and some photos of a 1-1/2" diameter PVC pipe installed on a 6' KK backblade. My experience on the install was that so long as the pipe was reasonably warm,(40-50 deg), a single table saw blade rip of the pipe was enough. A second pass on the saw was not necessary in order to install the pipe. Assuming your BB has an angled edge, it should be possible start this from the end of the blade, using a small sledge to coax it along, tapping it occasionally from below and from the end as you move it forward. It took a little patience, but it installed uneventfully. Check the photos posted to see if your situation is similar. I hope it works for you.
I would be interested in any experience anyone might have with the ABS pipe. I have some black plastic water line which is about the same diameter which I will try if the PVC fails in the cold. We are expecting some snow this week so I will give the existing arrangements a try under more realistic conditions.
bill

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #25  
PVC is the wrong pipe to use if you are looking for shatter resistance. My other hobby is big fireworks displays. We use HDPE (High density polyethylene) pipe for our motars because they will never shatter if a shell blows up in a mortar. PVC shrapnel will kill you if you use it for fireworks mortars. HDPE pipe is the stuff that municipal gas and water lines are made of. You can get it at industrial plumbing supply houses in almost any diameter. You can slot it very easy on a table saw. It would be great on a plow because it is incredibly wear resistant. The attached pic is a trailer I just finsihed with 190 4" HDPE mortars.

Attachments

• DSC06834.JPG
    DSC06834.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 518
   / PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Thank you!!!!
Dang!!! A bomb guy, sorry, A fireworks guy!!! Way too cool and great tip!!

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #27  
Has anyone tried on snowblower cutting edge? Should work though might be risky if pipe shatters. I have a bolt on edge that is much like a bucket edge.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #28  
I like this idea. I cleared my drive this morning for the 1st time with a back blade I bought this summer and ended up turning it backwards to reduce how much rock it was picking up. I looked at buying shoes for mine, but the Land Pride parts were about $160.

I am wondering if there would be any advantage to trying 3 or 4 smaller pieces of PVC spread out across the lenth of the blade. It would be easier to cut the slot and probably easier to get on the blade plus if you shattered a piece, you could maybe finish up or drive on another piece easier. As long as they stay in place, the gaps in between shouldn't make any difference as that is what you have with shoes anyway.

Also the "glue" and pre treatment stuff you put on the PVC when bonding it softens it before it goes back to being hard. I wonder if applying that prior to sliding the pipe on the blade would allow it to go on easier and then harden without attaching.

Maybe a this weekend experiment.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #29  
I wonder if applying that prior to sliding the pipe on the blade would allow it to go on easier and then harden without attaching.
If you are thinking about softening, just use a heat gun.
I would be interested in any experience anyone might have with the ABS pipe. I have some black plastic water line which is about the same diameter which I will try if the PVC fails in the cold
I have used the ABS pipe for a couple of years --holds up fine as I said in a previous post. I don't think the plastic water line will last one pass as it gets brittle in the cold and is pretty thin. I have not tried the PVC because around here it is more expensive than the ABS and not as common. When they change out old high efficiency furnaces they switch to PVC these days so you can often find scrap lengths of ABS -- don't know which is the best but I stick to one solid piece with about a 1/4 inch cut on the table saw

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #30  
I have used the pvc pipe in 3" since last year and have not had any problems.
I have basically used it only on gravel with or without snow and can not imagine that it would shatter when used only on gravel and not asphalt or concrete. I use a single blade cut on the 3" pvc and it is not that much trouble to slide on or off. I clean the road in front of our house and about 8-10 neighbors paved driveways. Also, there are a couple of neighbors with gravel and I just wait until last and slip the pvc pipe on and finish those two and remove afterwards.