QH top link

/ QH top link #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
The hook on the HF QH has been problematic. In putting my bush hog back on after getting the tractor back from the shop, I could not get the 2nd pin in to secure the top hook.

Looked at it and came up with this solution today: Removed the hook and then removed top pin from QH and extended top link through the QH "hook" area and attached it directly to the bush hog's top pin.

Here's the top link shown in the first attachment.

The nut to keep the top link from rotating cannot be secured with a wrench. I should have moved it to the other end (might not work, as thread is reverse). The second picture shows the nut.

In changing implements, I have to get off to move my 2 bushings from each side of the bottom lift pins to the new implement anyway. The third picture shows the 2 bushings I bought at TSC, FAR cheaper and more portable than those $30 ones many others use that require an allen screw or some such to hold them in place. These are held nicely as shown.

I could have gotten a shorter one of the adaptors that MIGHT work on the bush hog. A shorter one is available at Agri Supply. The 4th attachment shows my fairly long adaptor. This adaptor I have is too long because the top link I have will not shorten any more, and I could not find a shorter one without going to cat 0.

What you COULD do is to buy a piece of chain and a couple clevises to attach the ends to the implement top pin and the top pin attachment at the tractor. Just use a chain about 1 inch longer than needed. It will lift the implement but allow it (like the bush hog) to move a bit more over terrain. One would use the adaptor then between the QH and the implement.

Might need to use a piece of small rope/big thread/zip tie to hold the top link to the top of the QH when changing implements out to keep the QH top from flopping. Think not though.

Attachments

• Top Link.jpg
    Top Link.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Top Link nut.jpg
    Top Link nut.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Bottom pin bushings.jpg
    Bottom pin bushings.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 135
  • QH adaptor.jpg
    QH adaptor.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 144
   / QH top link #2  
I went with the qh adapter. Don't think I'll be going back to the hook.

/ QH top link #3  
So you can't use the hook from your HF quick-hitch after your tractor was at the shop? What did they fix (the hook or the tractor) and what is the issue now? I can't see how the hook would have changed pre or post taking the tractor to the shop. I've had my lower arms not centered before so the hook didn't make contact in the correct area, but it was fixed by adjusting the lower arms. I've had issues with the hook not working if the top link made the QH at some extreme angle as well.

/ QH top link
Had to remove the bush hog because they had another tractor on the trailer at pickup time.

Could not get both hook pins back in. Too little clearance between bush hog and top part of QH.

Could not get bush hog to go back on with hook in place. Had to remove and then put hook back.

The new way is better. No hook. Couldn't use it on my back blade either. Used the adaptor.

/ QH top link #5  
Sort of like a Pat's quick hitch, but with more metal involved. What is keeping the top of the quick-hitch from moving back and forth? Looks like it is just dangling or leaning on the ball socket end of the top link. It stinks if all your implements don't use the QH.

/ QH top link
The QH top is held in place between the top link adjustor and the end ball. If raised too high out of the slot, the QH will flop. It is quite a way down in the slot though.

/ QH top link #7  
   / QH top link #9  
I still can't figure out why it would hit or interfere, but i guess it hold so whatever works. You could always put the pins back in to keep the TL from flopping. I can't get my hand around it because if I buy a quick-hitch and it doesn't work, that is going back as a non-functional item. It is a 1/2 Quick Hitch now ;)

/ QH top link
DO NOT DO IT!

Cost me $40 for a new top link today at TSC. It binded up when raised fully and ruined the threads on the top link end at the QH or bent it slightly. Will go in metal re cycle.

Put the hook back but upside down. Easier to put back that way. Either up or down, I have to remove it get the bush hog off.

One guy posted a youtube video with same problem. His solution was to cut away a 1/2 inch of the hook and to weld that 1/2 sliver back to the side nearest the QH/tractor.

One other guy with some old implements proposed to use the screwed end of a top link, drill a 1/2 inch hole through it for a pin and pin it into one of the multiple QH holes for the hook. DO NOT DO THIS! A single little 1/2 inch pin likely isn't strong enough to take wear and tear of a 400-500 # implement back there. Plus the screwed part of the top link is greatly compromised by drilling a 1/2 inch hole through the side of it.