Quality of Hydraulic Fittings

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I just bought a used tree puller and I need to replace the flat faced fittings with Pioneer ball type to match the system on my tractor. Looking online I can get a set of 2 from Amazon for the same price I can go to Tractor Supply and buy one set. Do you think there is a great deal of difference in the quality of these fittings? I kind of want to get the double set from Amazon because I want to use the second set to make a flat faced adapter in case I rent a skid steer and want to use the tree puller. But if quality is significantly lower I am not sure I want to go that route. What says ye?

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #2  
The difference in quality will be the name on fitting (and country of origin).... Tractor Supply and Amazon, either one (or both) may not be best quality or best price....

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #3  
I'd get ones made by a well known company like Pioneer or Safeway (not the grocery chain). Not no name ones. Last time I bought some which was a few years ago TSC had as good prices as anyone.

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #4  
I have used and currently use amazon hyd quick couplers. They work just fine.

how ever I have used surplus center hoses and find them very poor quality and wont use them if I can avoid it.

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #5  
I have used and currently use amazon hyd quick couplers. They work just fine.

how ever I have used surplus center hoses and find them very poor quality and wont use them if I can avoid it.
Interesting, I have had the opposite experience with Surplus Center hoses.
Mine came with US made hose material, looked to be good quality, and have provided good service for several years now.
Wonder if their materials/quality have changed over time?

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #6  
hasn't. Hose is only as good as the fittings. I have had more than 1 JIC female strip out or completely push the back end of the fitting appart.

I have landed hundreds of JIC and NPT hydraulic fittings and never had this problem.

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #7  
I did the opposite. I changed my tractor fitting to flat face to match my tree shear hose fittings.
At first I went to Amazon and thought, wow these are pretty cheap.
Then I started reading the reviews and that pretty much confirmed why they were so cheap.
I ended up buying from a hydraulic shop up in ME. They were not cheap, but they attach and unattach very easy and don't leak.

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #8  
Interesting, I have had the opposite experience with Surplus Center hoses.
Mine came with US made hose material, looked to be good quality, and have provided good service for several years now.
My oldest hoses from Surplus Center are only about 10 years now, but not a single one (out of quite a few) has been problematic. Despite some mechanical accidental abuse.

Similarly, after buying couplers from various places, the only ones that leak are the OE ones on the L3800's remotes. Together with the crappy valves, cylinders don't stay in position for long. But at least the leaks in the valves don't result in loss of fluid.

/ Quality of Hydraulic Fittings #9  
My oldest hoses from Surplus Center are only about 10 years now, but not a single one (out of quite a few) has been problematic. Despite some mechanical accidental abuse.

Similarly, after buying couplers from various places, the only ones that leak are the OE ones on the L3800's remotes. Together with the crappy valves, cylinders don't stay in position for long. But at least the leaks in the valves don't result in loss of fluid.

I exclusively use the Jic fitted double braid hoses from SC. They have a very high pressure rating. I have many in service and have never had a failure. My only complaint is that the outer sheath weather cracks from sunlight sooner than I like, allowing the steel braid to rust. I use BoeShield T9 to soak into the cracks and protect the braid. Fairly effective.