Question about selling a tractor

/ Question about selling a tractor #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I am considering selling or trading in my tractor. If I were to sell it I would have concerns about a large cash transaction, scams etc. Obviously I wouldn't consider taking a personal check and I doubt many people are walking around with $25k in cash. How have you handled a transaction like this?

/ Question about selling a tractor #2  
I have sold several larger things. I took a cahier's ck. You can call the bank to confirm it is valid if you like. I have had good luck with cash. You can get a better price if there is no paper trail for the money. I am not saying it is right, but that is the way it is. Go to the police station or court house if you are concerned about security.

/ Question about selling a tractor #3  
I am considering selling or trading in my tractor. If I were to sell it I would have concerns about a large cash transaction, scams etc. Obviously I wouldn't consider taking a personal check and I doubt many people are walking around with $25k in cash. How have you handled a transaction like this?
unfortunately, theres always people trying to take advantage. Cashiers checks can be scammed, cash can be scammed, bank wire transfers may be (IMO) the safest bet for someone you dont know.
Not too long ago, I got a cashiers check from a real estate settlement. Settled on Friday, took the check to the bank on Monday and funds were denied because the check had been recalled.

/ Question about selling a tractor #4  
For large transactions, have a cashier's check, or bank check deposited and verfied before the equipment leaves your property. Usually its a few days before the check "clears" even for a bank check.

Also a bill of sale listing S/N and Model etc. of you are transferring, with a picture of their drivers license on the bill of sale, signed by both parties and "as is where is" condition.

/ Question about selling a tractor #5  
I brought eighteen thou home to pay the contractor for my driveway. I paid cash for my pickup. If you want cash that should be no problem - if you trust your buyer.

/ Question about selling a tractor #7  
I meet the buyer at his own bank, and get a cashiers check or cash if not a large amount.
That way, there is no doubt about authenticity.

/ Question about selling a tractor #8  
am particularly interested in this thread as i will be selling my machine when i sell out. debating whether to go 10% commission to my dealer for the sale, or private local sale. am skeptical of selling to buyer online out of state. too much room for scams. OP: keep us posted on what sale method you decide... regards

/ Question about selling a tractor #9  
I sold an old Hot Rod a few years ago for $7k. Guy brought Seventy $100 bills. I brought a counterfeit detector pen and tested every bill. I explained to the guy that I had gotten counterfeit bills in my garage sale before moving and wanted to be sure that didn’t happen again. He had absolutely no problem with me checking.

One other thing. These are weird times, and if I was getting cash that totaled over $10k, I’d advise the bank I was coming, have a bill of sale, contact local law enforcement that you were going to receive the specified amount and advise them that you would be taking it to the bank. Last thing you want is having a Local Yokel pulling you over and confiscating the cash since it’s over $10k.

/ Question about selling a tractor #10  
If you're trading it in at a dealership, probably have nothing to worry about. However, you're probably not getting the best deal. The tractor supply is coming back, but people are still looking for good quality, affordable, tractors that they don't want to wait for: sell it privately.

When I buy or sell something with a value over a few thousand, I know it's easy to get scammed. You're doing the correct thing by asking for advise. But too much advise can be overwhelming and confusing. So here is mine to add to the pile! 😀

If you are accepting cash, get one of these pens that I'm sure you have seen used in stores. Check the bills. It's not fool proof, but I highly doubt your potentially crooked buyer (who is buying a tractor) is sophisticated enough to bypass this test.

You can accept a personal check, but I'd defiantly hold on to the tractor until the funds have cleared. This is not ideal, and most people understand when you tell them "no personal checks accepted."

Consider a direct wire transfer from the buyers account to yours. Just be careful about giving out things like your account number, routing number, etc. Contact your bank or credit union for help. Be aware that many people do not know this is an option and/or know how to go about doing this.

Use a service like PayPal or Cash App. There are limits though, and protections typically go to the buyer. This is not ideal as there are steep fees associated with using these services. PayPal has a limit of $60k per transaction.

You can do a cashiers check, which is common and mostly secure. Just know that when the guy shows up to see the tractor, he might already have an envelope full of cash. Going back to the bank on a weekend or taking time off work, etc, might be too painful for the buyer, who already has the money in hand. Might screw up the deal.

Not a popular option, but I like to use it, is bitcoin. Have the buyer buy the amount of the agreed upon price in BTC and transfer it to you. This is probably the safest and most secure method. You could then simply sell the BTC (potentially at a gain) for USD directly into your account. Some cons with this one is limits. Currently, Coinbase has a buying/selling limit: $10K per transaction. Might take a few transactions to get the payment through. But if your willing, and the buyer was sitting on a pile of BTC, might be the best bet.

You can accept any form of payment, for any goods or services, so long as you both agree upon it before doing business. You need to protect yourself no matter what the payment method in the form of a Bill of Sale that should include the make, model, SN (of the tractor and loader if equipped), date, agreed upon price, and both parties signatures. Make two copies, one for each party. It wouldn't hurt to snap a photo of his ID and offer yours in return. Trust is gained on both sides when people exchange trustworthy information.

I'm sure your transaction will go smoothly and securely. Have some faith in people, but always remember: "Trust. But Verify."