Question for 2520 owners

/ Question for 2520 owners #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
I have a "condition" with my power steering that I was told is normal to all 2520's; when I turn the wheel the steering "freezes" or "pulses" back against my efforts. It is worse when cold, and does not seem to be rpm dependent. It was so bad at first that if I turned the wheel fast enough it would literally "lock up" and would not continue in the same direction until I released it. My dealer worked very hard to get it smoother but it is still there. The explanation from Deere Engineering was this is normal and due to the sharing of the steering pump.Has anyone experienced this?

The reason I ask now is that I drove a 2720 and the steering was butter smooth with no hesitation or jerking so I thought perhaps Deere upgraded the pump on the 2720 but the specs show it to be the same as the 2520.

The steering was so smooth I could turn the wheel with one finger instead of the two hands my 2520 takes.

/ Question for 2520 owners #2  
I think there's something wrong with yours. I've never paid attention to my steering (on my 2520), and now that I think of it, that is because it is smooth and effortless. What is the power steering pump "shared" with?

/ Question for 2520 owners #3  
Hiy,

Mine turns with one finger with a full bucket of knit-pack or my curtis loader plow on paved surfaces. I will admit it's a tiny bit harder in the winter when it's just been started and it's below 0 out but even then, I can palm the wheel lock to lock full speed. You are using a ballast box to unload the front axle when you have the loader on right?

I would look to see if you have a restriction in the steering hyd system hoses or connections. As far as I know the steering pump is not "shared", it is a dedicated unit. Perhaps the piston in the slave cyl has an issue where the pressure is bypassing instead of providing assist. Or perhaps your control valve is bypassing internally and providing pressure to both sides at the same time.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ Question for 2520 owners #4  
I would think that there is no power steering pump but that a valve is used to divert the main hydraulic pump flow - but I have no experience with that level of the mechanics. It does sound like something is wrong, my guess would be a blocked filter in the steering system.

/ Question for 2520 owners #5  
the 2520 has a two sided pump, one side for steering/cooling, one side for implements.

AS for how smooth it should operate, mine is smooth. Even under heavy bucket loads it never pulses/hesitates.

/ Question for 2520 owners #6  
turbo36 said:
I have a "condition" with my power steering that I was told is normal to all 2520's; when I turn the wheel the steering "freezes" or "pulses" back against my efforts.

That doesn't sound normal to me.

My 2520 steering is smooth as silk

/ Question for 2520 owners #7  
The 2520 has two hydraulic pumps, one supplies power steering, the PTO clutch and also provides supplemental pressure for the system, and the other pump runs everything else.

Mine pulses a little and is a little harder to steer when moving a load at a low rpm (like if I've got something on the pallet forks and am maneuvering in tight quarters). However, bumping up the RPM solves this issue.

Under normal circumstances, the steering is one-finger light and no pulsing.

Last edited:
   / Question for 2520 owners #8  
So he is saying that not working right is normal? If that tractor is under warranty I would make em replace parts until it worked right!

/ Question for 2520 owners #9  
It can't be working right... Sounds to me like your dealer doesn't want to do the warrenty work.

/ Question for 2520 owners
VABlue said:
It can't be working right... Sounds to me like your dealer doesn't want to do the warrenty work.

My dealer has worked on this and replaced all the things recommended by Deere engineering but he is out of options as now Deere says it's normal. I'm not mad at the dealer, he has worked very hard on this. Now my complaint will be with Deere directly. Past experience has shown me that the so called customer support center is really just a black hole where everything goes in and nothing comes out.

I'm really trying to stay positive on this but after buying as many Green tractors as I have it's probably just time for a color change.